Birtherism 2.0: Kamala Harris Can't Be President Because Her Parents Weren't Citizens

There's stupid and there's stupid and then there's this.
Image via CNN

Image via CNN

Let's get this out of the way: Jacob Wohl is a fucking moron. If you don't recall the name, he's one of the two masterminds behind the disastrous plot to discredit Robert Mueller with a made-up sexual assault allegation. It's not entirely clear why he's not in jail for this other than the possibility that he's so stupid he might accidentally kill himself trying to squeeze through the bars.

But since he's still free and at large, he's continuing to audition for America's Next Right-Wing Scumbag, the reality show where they pick the next generation of lying soulless monsters who will say and do anything for money. You may be familiar with past winners Tomi Lahren, Milo Yiannopolous, and Ben Shapiro?

Today's bit of jawdropping Wohl stupidity comes in the form of Birtherism 2.0:

Which would be a nice story if it made any sense. But...it doesn't.

Look, we get it. Kamala Harris isn't white therefor there's just no way she can be a true blue American like Jacob Wohl! 'Murika!

Unfortunately, the Constitution goddamned well says otherwise:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Kamala's parents could have been born on Pluto and Jupiter and arrived in the United States ten seconds before Kamala was born and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. She took her first breath on American soil? She's an American citizen. Story, end of.

Where she went to school is irrelevant. Where she grew up is irrelevant. Where she first kissed a boy is irrelevant. Where she got married is irrelevant. She was born in the United States and that makes her a citizen of this country and it doesn't matter how hard you misread the Constitution of how long you hold your breath and stamp your feet because you hate birthright citizenship. Too. Fucking. Bad.

The media entertained birtherism for years instead of immediately crushing it and treating politicians that trucked in it like the racist liars they were. CNN's Chris Cuomo has has already been flamed to a crisp for a poorly worded tweet that made it seem like Kamala needed to address this bullshit. He has since deleted it and made it excruciatingly clear that is not the case. Let this be a warning to anyone in the media thinking about taking the lazy, "both sides" path to easy clicks: You, too, will be burned to the ground for giving oxygen to this crap.

We let the media get away with this once. It doesn't matter if you like or loathe Kamala, we on the left should make damn sure it's not going to happen again. Jacob Wohl is counting on the sheer stupidity and racism of the right but he needs the complicity of the media to bring it home. Without it, he's just another fucking idiot howling at the moon.

Since you are here, please consider supporting The Daily Banter. We are completely independent and reader funded and your contribution helps us cover politics at a critical moment in history. A membership gets you access to our digital magazine 'Banter M' and our extensive archive of long form journalism. It is a small amount but makes a huge difference to us. Thank you!

RELATED