Right now, we are facing the gravest threat to American democracy and global peace in over 50 years. This is not hyperbole, but fact, and we need your help to fight it.
The rapid ascension of Trump and the blitzkrieg of executive orders he and his administration have rammed through has taken everyone by surprise. At the Banter, we’ve been horrified by the sheer volume of terrifying actions taken by the Trump administration to smash everything President Obama worked for and the basic civil liberties and human rights America supposedly stands for. Asides from the incessant lying, complaining about his inauguration numbers and baseless attacks on the media, in just 11 short days, Trump has:
1. Issued an executive order aimed at rolling back Obamacare without any plan to replace it.
3. Issued an executive order preventing refugees from entering the country for 120 days and banning immigrants from seven Muslim nations for three months.
4. Signed an executive order giving the Dakota Access Pipeline the go-ahead
5. Signed an executive order banning international abortion counselling
6. Has formally withdrawn from Obama’s signature trade deal, the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
7. Sparked tensions with China by engaging in aggressive, accusatory rhetoric.
8. Frozen federal government hiring
9. Cut taxes for big businesses.
10. Insulted Mexico and inspired a boycotting of American goods.
11. Elevated the President’s chief strategist and Alt Right fanatic Steve Bannon to full membership of the National Security Council.
This is only going to get worse in the coming months — much, much worse. Trump has openly threatened the media and is planning an all out war on objective truth and reality, making it all the more important to throw everything we have at him. The Trump administration has made clear that “alternate facts” are a substitute for real facts, and will unashamedly lie at any given moment.
We’re a relatively small team here at the Banter, and we work round the clock to cover all of this as thoroughly as possible. While we are completely overwhelmed by it all, we are not going anywhere and will be countering this relentless stream of propaganda with a monumental effort. As I wrote after the election, we are going at this administration with al the fire power we have, and we will not stop until Trump and his cabal of psychotic thugs are out of office. To do this, we need to expand our capabilities dramatically. Over the coming months we will be adding new writers, featuring more in depth journalism covering every aspect of this administration, providing video coverage and a regular podcast. We urgently need your help to do this, and you can help us expand our coverage by becoming a paid member. This helps more than anything else as we are mostly dependent on advertising revenue to keep going. Subscriptions make up roughly 30% of our revenue, but provides us with the stability to weather traffic slumps and wildly fluctuating ad prices. With a solid membership base, we can plan ahead, hire more writers and do what we do best.
Our overhead is almost non-existent at the Banter, so your money goes directly into the content you see here every day. It is the only real way of ensuring fact checked, responsible journalism continues, so we really hope you can help ensure our long term survival and ability to fight this terrifying threat. With a membership you also get access to all of our regular Members Only articles and our bi-weekly digital magazine ‘Banter M’.
Join the resistance here, and thank you to those already supporting us. We wouldn’t be here without you.
P.S once you have subscribed, you can help even more by tweeting the receipt with the hashtag #PressOn.
Ben Cohen is the editor and founder of The Daily Banter. He lives in Washington DC where he does podcasts, teaches Martial Arts, and tries to be a good father. He would be extremely disturbed if you took him too seriously.