Internet trolls make everyone’s lives a misery.
Whether in the comments section of a website or on Facebook and Twitter, trolls find a medium to attack others without fear of reprisals. The anonymity of the internet makes an ideal playground for their unrestrained aggression, providing these trolls with an endless supply of victims who will respond to their baiting.
So who are these internet trolls? Do they look like you or I? Perhaps you know one.
Perhaps you are one.
Here’s a guide to figure out whether you could be an internet troll and are in need of some psychological help:
1. You don’t have any ‘real life’ friends. You are far more powerful as a level 23 Alliance Member and Shadow Hunter of the Dark Iron Clan in World of Warcraft*.
2. When you read articles on the internet, you take them very, very personally and feel the author is directly speaking to you.
3. You harbor huge resentment towards every ethnicity other than your own. Why are Asians on the internet? Shouldn’t they all go home to off the internet?
4. You are a teenager.
5. You are a middle-aged, sexually-repressed, divorced male with no sporting outlets.
6. You tortured small animals as a child (and maybe you still do).
7. You desperately want to be hugged.
If you scored 4 or more out of the possible 7 signs, you are most likely an internet troll. Please get help (and don’t leave any comments below).
* This may not actually exist in World of Warcraft. We’re not trolls so we don’t know.
Ben Cohen is the editor and founder of The Daily Banter. He lives in Washington DC where he does podcasts, teaches Martial Arts, and tries to be a good father. He would be extremely disturbed if you took him too seriously.