Alright, it’s not technically the top 5 top 10 lists because BuzzFeed does a lot of ‘top 17’ and ‘top 43’ lists, but more a selection of some of the dumbest ‘top whatever-the-hell-number’ the writers at BuzzFeed have compiled in order to get traffic. I was going to trawl through months of the site’s archives in order to find the stupidest lists they’ve posted in order to boost traffic, but the following ‘content’ is from a single day on the site everyone is touting as the next big thing in online journalism.
1. ‘12 Absolutely Delightful Quotes by Rachel Zoe‘ (who is Rachel Zoe?).
2. ’10 Signs Your Cat is a Wizard’. This is one of the easiest ways to get traffic from pet obsessed Americans. Write about cats, and post pictures like this:
3. ‘16 Very Important Questions for Eva Mendes‘. Which includes asking whether her boyfriend’s dog likes her:
4. ‘27 Brilliant Grumpy Cat Items For Sale Online‘. Yes, more cat crap. This time with slightly creepier photos:
5. ‘5 Top Casting Directors Explain Why Runways Are So White‘. Yes, let’s ask massively superficial people why they make massively superficial decisions in a massively superficial industry, then do a massively superficial ‘top 5’ list about it….
Ben Cohen is the editor and founder of The Daily Banter. He lives in Washington DC where he does podcasts, teaches Martial Arts, and tries to be a good father. He would be extremely disturbed if you took him too seriously.