About

Cutting Through The Confusion

“Part of the appeal of the Daily Banter is that it’s so personality driven — it reminds me of the early days of Talking Points Memo“

– Simon Owens, PBS Media Shift

The Daily Banter is completely independent and has carved its own, unique identity through its high quality journalism and unfiltered commentary. The Banter is funded by reader subscriptions and ads alone. We hope to prove that high quality, original content can exist online independently.

The History

The Banter started in 2007 when Editor in Chief Ben Cohen got fed up with watching the corporate news covering politics like a horse race. The site launched in order to provide honest commentary on a deeply fractured political landscape and the descent of the Republican Party into complete madness.

In 2012, Ben brought on several prominent columnists like Bob Cesca, Chez Pazienza and White House reporter Tommy Christopher. Since then, the Banter has grown month after month, year after year and has become a highly respected voice in today’s media landscape.

In the Industry

We have featured on shows like ‘The Late Show’ with Stephen Colbert, and Rachel Maddow. We have also been quoted  by publications like the New York Times, Washington Post, the Guardian, Salon,  and The Huffington Post for our reporting and political commentary.

Our Work

At the Banter, we aim to provide our readers with witty, lively commentary and in depth reporting. We are a digital political magazine, but we also cover media and culture. We do not do clickbait journalism, and

We do our best to provide well researched, witty analysis to keep our readers sane. We crowd funded a trip to Ferguson to report on the police protests, have broken serious stories, and even helped authorities catch high profile criminals with our reporting. After the election of Donald Trump, we have remained committed to fighting fake news and the rising tide of fascism sweeping across America.

The Mission, and Your Help

Independent media is struggling to survive in the digital age. We want to prove that independent journalism and commentary can not only survive, but thrive. Ad revenue cannot sustain professionally run sites like The Daily Banter, and we need reader support to continue to do what we do. If you believe what we do is important, become a subscriber and help us on our mission to fund real content.

The Team

BEN COHEN

Ben Cohen is the editor of The Daily Banter and founder of Banter Media Group. Ben has written for the Huffington Post and is a regular guest on the Huff Post Live and the RT Network. Ben covered boxing and Mixed Martial Arts for TrueSlant.com, Secondsouts.com, Black Belt Magazine, Boxing Monthly Magazine and ESPN.com. Originally from London, England he currently lives in Washington DC.

(Follow Ben here)

BOB CESCA

Bob Cesca is the host of the Bob Cesca Show podcast. He’s been a writer for The Daily Banter since 2012, and a writer for Salon.com since 2015. He can be heard every Wednesday on the nationally syndicated Stephanie Miller Show and every Monday on SiriusXM’s “Tell Me Everything with John Fugelsang.” Bob has a bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Kutztown University and has worked in journalism since 1988. He’s also worked in broadcasting for 25 years. In addition to politics, Bob has produced hundreds of animated cartoons, including animated music videos for Yes, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue, Meat Loaf and Everclear. His 2003 independent feature film, “The War Effort,” won the Audience Award at the Nodance Film Festival, as well as the Delta Film Festival, and was the closing night film at the Philadelphia Film Festival.

JUSTIN ROSARIO

Justin Rosario is a Virginia based stay-at-home father to an autistic son, a neurotypical daughter, and a donor son that lives in NYC with his mommies. He cooks, cleans, runs the local PTA, writes about politics and has a delicious dinner waiting for his hardworking wife Debra when she gets home from work every day. Justin is a pragmatic liberal/massive geek and doesn’t give a damn what you think about that.

JEREMY FASSLER

Jeremy Fassler is a writer, filmmaker, and expert on all things related to politics and pop culture. He has assisted journalists at New York Magazine, Vulture, and GQ. He has also been as a typist and researcher for several books about filmmaking, with the newest, Guillermo Del Toro’s The Devil’s Backbone. He lives in New York.

KATE HARVESTON

Kate Harveston is a political writer from Pennsylvania. Writer by day and bartender by night, she enjoys getting the chance to put her voice out there on The Daily Banter and the other publications she writes for. If you like her work, you can visit her blog, Only Slightly Biased, or follow her on Twitter.

ROBERT COVINGTON

Robert Covington is a writer, mental health therapist, husband, father, and anti-racist to the core.

Twitter: @robcovingtonjr

CHRISTINA MCDOWELL

Christina McDowell is the author of “After Perfect; A Daughter’s Memoir.” She currently lives in Washington DC and is working on her second book.

The Banter Needs Your Support! Learn About Becoming a Member:Support Good Journalism
+ +