Lost in the fire-hose of news from the Trump shutdown and its humiliating ending for Republicans was a report about the deliberate nature of the disaster at the border:

Following reports on Thursday that federal officials forcibly separated thousands more migrant children from their families than previously reported, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D.-Ore.) released a document to NBC News revealing the Trump administration intended to “traumatize children and intentionally create a humanitarian crisis at the border.”

On top of this, news that just broke in the last few days that thousands of more children were stolen from their families than originally reported. And now the Trump regime is saying "Whoops! We have no way to reunite these kids with their parents. Tough shit." This was originally chalked up to incompetence but it's now clear this was a calculated move.

The goal was, from the beginning, to kidnap these children, keep them, separated from their parents, put them in appalling conditions for as long as possible, and then make it almost impossible for the parents to be reunited with their children. All to send a clear message to immigrants and refugees: Do not come here.

We know that tearing a child away from their parents is traumatic. We know keeping a child separated for more than a few days is psychologically damaging and the Trump regime has been keeping kids apart from their families for weeks and months in direct defiance of the law. We know the concentration camps the children are in are unsafe and the children are being abused. It's just a matter of time until we find the emails directing the staff to mistreat the children or to hire the least qualified staff. And now we know that Trump's regime knew how many kids they were going to be stealing and deliberately did not prepare to keep track of them meaning they never intended to reunite the families.

All of this fits the definition of a crime against humanity:

For the purpose of this Statute, ‘crime against humanity’ means any of the following acts when committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack:

Other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or to mental or physical health.

These memos literally lay out the regime's intent to harm children as a way to punish families that come to the United States. This was a planned assault on the mental and physical well-being of children. They're torturing children to get at the parents.

When the country elects a Democrat in 2020 to replace Trump, one of their top priorities must be to investigate these crimes. The worst mistake Obama made was not prosecuting Bush and his cohort of war criminals. No one involved in the Bush torture program went to jail and now we are torturing children to the rapturous applaud of millions of red hat wearing monsters. We, as a society, did not crush the people responsible under the full weight of the law. Instead, we wagged a finger and turned a blind eye. When there are no consequences for immoral actions, those actions become acceptable, even desirable, to those without morals.

The people on these memos must be brought up on charges and the people who ran the camps must be charged with child endangerment. "I was just following orders" didn't work for the Nazis and it cannot be allowed to work here. We either hold them all accountable or the next time a Republican manages to steal an election, they won't just torture children in concentration camps, they'll sterilize them or worse. Why? Because no one was punished for torture under Bush and no one was punished for torturing children under Trump so why not push the envelope even further this time? This is how atrocity becomes commonplace.

We can either stand against evil and punish those who embrace it or admit that this is who America is now, a nation that tortures children. We can't pretend we're a moral country while those who deliberately inflict mass physical and psychological trauma on children on American soil walk away with book deals and a spot on Fox News.

RELATED