At the same time, it highlights how brutal this senseless shutdown was for hundreds of thousands of other families who weren't so lucky.

Over the five weeks of Trump's idiotic shutdown over a wall he will never build, my wife and I discovered just how much support we had from our friends and family. It was a humbling experience and one we were not expecting.

To continue reading this article, please go to our digital magazine for members, Banter M. You can become a Banter Member for as little as $0.99, and you will be supporting independent media during a critical time in history. Thank you!

RELATED