With A Few Tweets, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Changed Everything

She moved the national conversation to the left so fast and so hard, it gave Fox News whiplash.
Updated on
Image via Remezcla

Image via Remezcla

It's no secret that the right-wing media hates newly sworn in congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Not just run of the mill, "I hate the left" kind of hate but with the power of a thousand exploding stars kind of hate. This is the kind of hate they reserve for Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. But they've been in politics for decades and have had plenty of time to build a lot of ill-will among right-wingers. Ocasio-Cortez has been in politics for about two seconds in comparison.

And yet they can't stop obsessing over her. Her clothes, her dancing, where she lives, fake nude photos, it goes on and on and on. The loathing Fox News, AM Hate Radio, and right wing hate sites have for AOC is undeniable. And now we know why:

Earlier this month, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez went on national television and said that the United States should tax incomes above $10 million at a 70 percent rate.

Over the weekend, pollsters from the Hill–HarrisX asked voters, “Would you favor or oppose a tax proposal that would apply a 70% rate to the 10 millionth dollar and beyond for individuals making $10 million a year or more in reportable income?” — and 59 percent said yes.

For the last two weeks, in the middle of a government shutdown, a good chunk of the nation has been talking about raising marginal tax rates on the rich even as the right-wing media has been furiously trying to stop the conversation dead in its tracks. The fact that they've failed to do so and that failure only managed to allow AOC and others to repeatedly explain what "marginal tax rate" actually means is an ongoing disaster for Republicans. If we've learned anything from Obamacare, it's that when people start talking about progressive ideas like "health care is a right" and "heavily taxing the rich after the first 10 million," they latch on to them from both the left and the right.

The longer that conversation goes on, the more people will understand that raising taxes to 70% or more on money earned after the first $10 million only affects the rich and no one else. No matter how much Scott Walker and Fox News and Sean Hannity, etc. lie about it, it's really not that hard to understand. And people really, really like it.

Ocasio-Cortez did something in two weeks with a short interview and a few tweets that Democrats have been struggling to do for years. Even Bernie hasn't been able to get people talking about something as boring as marginal tax rates much less get the right-wing media to go into a panicked frenzy over it. It's great to talk about income inequality all the time but it's far more helpful to get people talking about simple, concrete ways to solve it.

If AOC can continue to be that effective a messenger for progressive politics for, say, the next 40 years, imagine what she'll be able to do. I promise you, the right-wing media has and that's why Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has them freaked out so badly. Now that she's on the Financial Service Committee that oversees Wall Street, watch for the right-wing media to lose its mind on an almost daily basis as she continues to bring progressive ideas to the table. It's going to be amazing to watch.

Since you are here, please consider supporting The Daily Banter. We are completely independent and reader funded and your contribution helps us cover politics at a critical moment in history. A membership gets you access to our digital magazine 'Banter M' and our extensive archive of long form journalism. It is a small amount but makes a huge difference to us. Thank you!

RELATED