Trump Brags That Former Presidents Agree With Him On Border Wall. They Don't.

All four living Presidents have either denied Trump's claim, or taken public stances against it.
Updated on
Image via AP

Image via AP

Last Friday, president Trump claimed that some former Presidents of the United States told him they agreed with building a wall along the US border with Mexico.

“This should have been done by all of the presidents that preceded me," said Trump. "And they all know it. Some of them have told me that we should have done it.”

By "some of them" Trump apparently means "none of them" given all four living Presidents have either explicitly denied speaking with Trump about the wall, or have take very different public stances. Here's where Presidents Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama come down on Trump's border wall:

President Jimmy Carter

“I have not discussed the border wall with President Trump, and do not support him on the issue.”

President Bill Clinton (via his spokesperson Angel Ureña):

“He did not [speak to Trump about the wall]. In fact, they’ve not talked since the inauguration.”

President George W. Bush (via Politico):

"Bush spokesman Freddy Ford also said the two men had not discussed the matter."

President Barack Obama:

Obama declined to comment about Trump's statement, but his history of opposition to the wall is well known. He said in 2016: “Suggesting that we can build an endless wall along our borders, and blame our challenges on immigrants — that doesn’t just run counter to our history as the world’s melting pot, it contradicts the evidence that our growth and our innovation and our dynamism has always been spurred by our ability to attract strivers from every corner of the globe.”

President George H. Bush recently died, but it is highly unlikely the elder Bush agreed with Trump or spoke with him given the acrimonious family history between them.

What does this mean? As is almost always the case, Trump was lying. A senior administration official suggested that Trump was “referring to public comments his predecessors have made about the need for border security, not necessarily for a wall specifically.”

In other words, no former President spoke to Trump about supporting his wall, in private, or in public.

RELATED