Romney Declares Support For Trump's Wall, Proves Again How Spineless Republicans Are

Well, that lasted long. After publishing a scathing Op-Ed about Trump in the Washington Post this week, newly elected Senator Mitt Romney did what Republicans do best: cower when it matters most.
Image via AP

Image via AP

Well, that lasted long. After publishing a scathing Op-Ed about Trump in the Washington Post this week, newly elected Senator Mitt Romney did what Republicans do best: cower when it matters most.

In the midst of a GOP stand off with the Democrats over Trump's Great Wall, Romney has waded into the debate coming down firmly on the side of the president.

"I think the president is very sincere when he says he wants to secure the border," Romney told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Wednesday afternoon. "How you get there is a real question, it’s going to be worked out on a bipartisan basis. But clearly, we have to have a more secure border."

"I would vote for the border wall," he continued. "I’ve made that part of my platform for many, many years...And whether it’s a wall or a fence or technology, and perhaps in some cases the natural landscape prevents people from coming into the country easily, but we’ve got to secure our border, but that’s necessary but insufficient."

With allies like this, who needs enemies?

Earlier today, I wrote about the importance of Romney's piece in the Post. While Romney has never shown much political courage in his life, his willingness to call Trump out for his dangerous, criminal behavior was laudable. It's a shame it took him roughly 24 hours to undo any goodwill he may have amassed, but then that is what we should always expect with anyone who calls themselves a Republican in 2019.

Let's be perfectly clear about this -- the number of Republicans who have taken a meaningful stance against an irrational, fascistic madman running the country can be counted on one hand. Romney is perhaps the most outspoken prominent Republican to defy Trump, but given his willingness to support the president's most damaging policies, he can't be counted on for much.

RELATED