Trump Bans Jim Acosta From White House Signaling New, Dangerous War On Press

After threatening Democrats on Twitter and firing Jeff Sessions, Trump has now banned CNN's Jim Acosta from the White House after a heated exchange about the migrant caravan.
Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 9.53.53 PM

If you wondered how Trump was going to react to losing the House of Representatives in the midterms, we are starting the get the full picture -- and it isn't good. After threatening Democrats on Twitter and firing Jeff Sessions, Trump has now banned CNN's Jim Acosta from the White House after a heated exchange about the migrant caravan. Reported the Huff Post

The White House revoked Jim Acosta’s press credentials Wednesday after he had a heated exchange with President Donald Trump at a news conference and an intern tried to grab a microphone from the CNN reporter.

“As a result of today’s incident, the White House is suspending the hard pass of the reporter involved until further notice,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters.

Acosta also tweeted that he had been denied entrance to the White House, where he was scheduled to film a spot for CNN, a network Trump has repeatedly targeted as “fake news.”

Here was the exchange in full:

Here is WH Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on the incident:

The video of the incident shows Acosta did not place "his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job", so Huckabee Sanders is flat out lying about this. The intern in question quite aggressively grabbed the microphone from Acosta's hands while he was still speaking, and he would not give it up:

The White House Correspondents’ Association released a statement saying they "strongly" object to Trump's decision to use security credentials "as a tool to punish a reporter with whom it has a difficult relationship".

"We urge the White House to immediately reverse this weak and misguided action," the statement went on.

It is hard to overstate how dangerous this is -- to ban a reporter for asking questions you don't like the day after the midterms represents a symbolic and very serious attack on the freedom of the press. Dan Rather summed it up perfectly, tweeting that, "News the White House pulled Jim’s credentials is not an attack on one journalist but all of the press. There should be complete solidarity. This is a moment for any Republican who says they believe in the Constitution to stand up."

Judging by the reaction of major Republicans, this is not going to happen:

It is now clear that the US is heading towards a major constitutional crisis in the very near future, and the Republican Party's loss of the House appears to have set the wheels in motion. Trump is clearly extremely rattled, and is testing the Democrats to see what he can get away with.

The Democrats must now react with all of their force and try to stop this madness before it is too late.

Since you are here, please consider supporting The Daily Banter. We are completely independent and reader funded and your contribution helps us cover politics at a critical moment in history. A membership gets you access to our digital magazine 'Banter M' and our extensive archive of long form journalism. It is a small amount but makes a huge difference to us. Thank you!

RELATED