Have No Pity For Tucker Carlson

You mean there are consequences for instigating white nationalist violence against minorities and we're supposed to feel bad about it? Nah.
Image via screencap

Image via screencap

I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for Tucker Carlson right now after a group of about 20 protesters showed up outside his house and started chanting for him to "leave town" because he's a "racist scumbag." From the Washington Post:

“Tucker Carlson, we are outside your home,” one person could be heard saying in the since-deleted video. The person, using a bullhorn, accused Carlson of “promoting hate” and “an ideology that has led to thousands of people dying.”

“We want you to know, we know where you sleep at night,” the person concluded, before leading the group to chant, “Tucker Carlson, we will fight! We know where you sleep at night!”

According to Carlson, one of them tried to break down the door (although if 20 people wanted to break into a house, a door would be unlikely to stop them). No windows were reported broken making it even less likely anyone was actually trying to get inside. A woman was also heard saying something about bringing Carlson "a pipe bomb", although the video has now been deleted.

Normally, I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt but Tucker Carlson lies for a living so...no.

We're being lectured by the press that this is going too far, that people can't just show up and harass people like Tucker Carlson at their homes. But one could also say that we shouldn't have to worry about right-wing terrorists walking into churches and synagogues and murdering minorities. That doesn't stop Carlson from going on TV every weeknight and whipping his audience into a frenzy of racist rage against Jews and Latinos and Muslims.

Earlier this year, Tucker Carlson literally had a segment making the case for "nationalism" (ie white nationalism with the "white" implied) versus "globalism," the right's favorite antisemitic dog whistle/air horn. He and the rest of Fox News have been ranting about George Soros, another antisemitic air raid siren, for years and they really ramped it up in the last several months. Carlson is a sleaze but he's not stupid. He is quite aware of what effect his rhetoric has on his audience of rage addicted white nationalists and he doesn't care.

This is part of the reason why right-wing terrorism has become just as much, if not more, of a threat than Islamic extremists:

The threat America faces from white nationalist violence is at least equal to that posed by radical Islamist group ISIS, FBI Director Chris Wray told a Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee meeting on Wednesday.

Wray told senators that "about 1000" cases of domestic terrorism were currently being investigated, and that that was approximately the same as the number of cases related to Islamic terrorism under investigation, The Hill has reported.

According to the report however, independent data reveals that the number of attacks carried out and planned by white supremacists is almost double those undertaken by Islamists.

That didn't happen in a vacuum. It required a concerted effort from people like Donald Trump and Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson and AM Hate Radio and right-wing hate sites, etc. to build a movement of violent, paranoid lunatics and give them targets.

The right will spend weeks freaking out about this but they've been doxxing rape victims, liberals, and journalists for years in order to harass them. Forgive me if I don't take their sudden respect for privacy and civility seriously.

Carlson complains that he's tried very hard to keep his personal address private because he loves his home and his family doesn't deserve to be disturbed. And that's a nice sentiment. Of course, the families of the 11 Jews that were murdered deserved the same thing. I'm not saying that Carlson or his family should be physically harmed in any way, and I don't even want their home vandalized (one of the protesters allegedly spray painted an anarchy sign on the driveway).

That being said, I couldn't care less if protesters yell at him outside his home, at his job, in a restaurant, on the street, while he's using the bathroom, I don't care. I'm not even super broken up about his wife being scared (his kids weren't home). Tucker Carlson is willfully aiding fascism and white nationalism and his wife is making the choice to stay with him. I'm not big on "sins of the father" but being a good family man isn't much of a defense when your job is laying the groundwork for more violent assaults on minorities. And this is a point I cannot repeat often enough: White nationalism ends in violence. It has to. There is no such thing as "peaceful" white nationalism. The only way to "make America white again" is through ethnic cleansing, and we all know where that leads.

Do I want Tucker Carlson or his family attacked or injured? Of course not. He's not a swastika-wearing Nazi. But he enables them and he enables their violence and there are consequences for openly siding with animals like the Proud Boys. He cheered on the family separation policy that was explicitly enacted to torture children and punish their parents. Don't ask me to feel bad for Tucker Carlson. He chose to be the face of Trump's fascism and white nationalism and I'm all out of fucks to give.

RELATED