Republican Openly Endorses Assassination and Sedition in the Name of Jesus

The fact that State Rep. Matt Shea of Washington has not been forced to immediately resign shows how sick the Republican Party is.
matt-shea-with-gun-nuts

If you haven't heard about this yet, it's amazing that this story isn't front page news across the country and testament to how coddled Republicans are by the media in this country:

State Rep. Matt Shea of Spokane Valley in conservative eastern Washington has been under fire since he acknowledged in a Facebook video last week that he had distributed the four-page document titled, "Biblical Basis for War" to some of his supporters.

The document condemns abortion and same-sex marriage and describes how those who don't follow biblical law should be punished. At one point, the document says, "If they do not yield, kill all males."

Amazingly, it's actually worse than that. In this blueprint for a violent theocracy, there's an entire section about how good Christian soldiers should respond to "tyranny." It involves assassination, sedition, and civil war.

Dominionism

Naturally, even if the "tyrant" is a churchgoing Christian and a good family man like our previous president, the right-wing terrorists working from this blueprint will simply say that he's not. It's an incredibly simple test to determine what constitutes a tyrant: Is the president a white Christian far-right conservative or pretending to be one? If not, then they are a tyrant and assassinating them is not murder because Jesus said so.

Look at the details here. This blueprint is literally calling for sabotaging the government and the nation if you don't agree with it. What form would such sabotage take? In ye olden days, it would be easy enough to sabotage a single town or even a city by tampering with its water supply or grain storage. But the world is far more complicated now and acts of physical sabotage that would make a lasting difference would be difficult if not impossible.

But there are other ways to damage a country. Perhaps cutting social services so people are left without and shelter? Maybe eliminating free school breakfasts and lunches so children go hungry? What about making health care unaffordable? Or deliberately crashing the economy so tens of millions of people are out of work?

Once you read this manifesto and realize that it is extremely unlikely that Shea is the only Republican that believes this lunacy, it's not much of a stretch to see a lot of what Republicans do as precisely this kind of sabotage. Christian Dominionism (that's what this is), is a virus that's been infiltrating the GOP for decades.

My favorite part of this blueprint for sociopaths is the "Use of Deception." One of the things right-wing Islamophobes love to rant about is how lying is encouraged by Islam to further its nefarious goals of...world domination!

It is impossible to understand Islam and Muslims by listening to their protestations against terror and their proclamations of patriotism for America. Usually, it is wise and fair to give people the benefit of the doubt but when it comes to national safety and the future of America, we had better look twice, even thrice at Muslim patriotism. Why? Because Islam permits lying! It is called “Al-taqiyya.” One Muslim said that Al-taqiyya means dissimulation then he expanded it to diplomacy but he should have gone further to deception. Now some Muslims who do not follow the Koran are as faithful Americans as any of us, but the problem is, we cannot know.

Here's a statement from State Rep. Shea:

"I have consistently and unequivocally condemned racism, anti-Semitism and white nationalism and do so again," Shea said in a Friday tweet.

"But the problem is, we cannot know." Shea literally endorses a worldview in which he does "not owe the truth to someone" he believes "will abuse it" and who abuses the truth more than the wicked and evil Lügenpresse? My tone suggests humor but I'm actually deadly serious. Shea belongs to a cult that literally advocates sedition and assassination and has codified lying as part of its foundational doctrine. His word is worthless and he must be regarded as a religious extremist working to undermine the United States as a secular constitutional democracy using organized violence at the first possible opportunity. His manifesto literally says that's what he is doing. There's even a section laying out how to organize the army of Jesus and how if the population does not yield to their demands, all the males must be killed. The Bible is pretty clear about what happens to the women afterward.

The worst part about this is the fact that Shea has not been forced to immediately resign. Never mind the whole "Imagine a Democrat had been caught advocating terrorism" spiel; just think about what it says about the Republican Party that one of their own is outed as a violent jihadist, yes I'm using that word quite deliberately, and they collectively shrug. That should tell you how acceptable this kind of extremism is in the GOP. It's not an outlier at all. That's how far off the deep end they've gone.

Worse, the press is treating this as a regular campaign gaffe. Let's try to remember the buckets of outrage that were spilled over, hell, pick any Democrat in the last 8 years doing anything. Obama's fucking tan suit was more of a controversy than a sitting Republican belonging to a cult that calls for assassination and sedition.

But, as always, the very worst behavior is, at most, a curiosity as long as a Republican is the culprit. In a few days, Shea will probably be reelected as the incumbent and we'll stop talking about how a Christian jihadist is plotting to sabotage the United States because Jesus told him to. This is why, in the coming years, we will be facing a wave of domestic terrorism unlike anything we could possibly imagine.

We've just had a peek behind the curtain and we should not forget the violence waiting for us if we fail to crush these lunatics. Vote on Tuesday like your life depends on it because if we leave it up to Shea and his "Holy Army", you're going to either submit to Christian fascism or die.

RELATED