Trump's Vicious Anti-Immigrant Rhetoric A Sign He Is Deeply Worried About Midterms

Trump's move to ban birthright citizenship and target immigrants is a sign the 2018 midterms are going to be very bad for Republicans.
170105-trump-phone-ap-1160

With the polls confirming that the GOP is almost certainly about to lose the House come November 6th, president Trump is trying every strategy he can think of to motivate his base.

Predictably, this largely consists of vicious anti-immigrant rhetoric he knows his racist supporters will respond to. After lying about a new 10% tax cut for the middle class that he won't enact, Trump quickly shifted gear in the past few days to attacking the most vulnerable people on earth. He sent 5,000 troops in a grotesque, money wasting stunt to "protect the border" from migrants looking to feed their children (an "invasion" as he described it), then announced he would be bypassing the Constitution and signing an executive order to end birthright in America.

"We're the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States," Trump lied in an interview with Axios. "It's ridiculous. It's ridiculous. And it has to end."

Not that it matters to his brainless supporters, but 30 other countries provide birthright citizenship.

This is classic Trumpism: when all else fails, make as much noise as possible and go after brown people.

The chaotic, vile strategy, is however, a sign that Trump is genuinely worried about what will happen after November 6th. If the Democrats take over the House, we will be entering a completely new political reality -- one where reality actually matters. A Democrat controlled House wields enormous power to check the president, and the sheer number of investigations it can launch into Trump's criminal behavior will tie his administration up in legal quagmires it may never find its way out of.

While the Democrats are unlikely to take back the Senate, there will be enough of a buffer by taking the House to make Trump's life a complete misery, and Trump instinctively understands this. As always, he has waited to the last minute to deal with the crisis, betting that his famous "instincts" will get him out of a fix. This chart however, lays bare the reality the GOP is facing next month (from FiveThirtyEight):

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.41.23 AM

Obviously victory for the Democrats cannot be declared before the voting ends, but the party is extremely confident heading into next week.

“We're just walking precincts and if everyone votes, we'll have even a bigger victory," Nancy Pelosi told Stephen Colbert on “The Late Show” last night.

"But Democrats will carry the House. If we have a bigger victory, the Senate, governorships. It's going to be a great night for America."

Pelosi, a veteran's veteran, is not making this claim lightly, particularly after what happened in 2016. The much vaunted Blue Wave is real, and given Trump's recent behavior, it is clear even he is finally beginning to understand it.

RELATED