As soon as an unscrupulous commander-in-chief gets a taste of what can be done without these strictures on his powers, the trend throughout history has always been to retain those new powers rather than to relinquish them. And does anyone really believe Trump would walk away from such powers?

I keep writing this because I keep hoping it's true: I wish I was wrong about Donald Trump, but I don't think I am. Ever since it became obvious Trump would be the Republican nominee for president, I've been deeply concerned that a foreign leader or an overseas terrorist group might test Trump's mettle by attempting a major attack against the United States, giving Trump a pretext to seize more power in the aftermath of it. See also 2001-2002.

It turns out, he didn't need an actual 9/11 style attack or similar in order to do that. All he needed to do was to consult with his Ghoul Czar, Stephen Miller, to concoct a ridiculous conspiracy theory about the so-called "caravans" of refugees in Central America. And because 40 percent of the nation trusts the word of this serial liar and scam-artist, it's likely he'll have a scary number of American voters on his side when he chooses to pull the trigger.

What am I talking about specifically?

Today in the White House press room, Sarah Sanders was asked whether Trump has plans to suspend habeas corpus as well as the strictures in the Posse Comitatus Act in order to stop the Central American refugees from entering the country. Sanders refused to say, leaving the door wide open for Trump to do exactly that.

In case you're unclear on all of this, the Constitution allows the president, in response to an invasion or rebellion, to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, the state's mandate to inform a suspect why he/she's been arrested. The Posse Comitatus Act prevents the commander-in-chief from deploying the American military as a police force inside the United States.

Suspending both habeas and the rules under the Posse Comitatus Act would gift Trump with broad-reaching powers to disappear American citizens and to backstop his leadership at the point of military weaponry and personnel.

While the original intention might be border security, it shouldn't matter. As soon as an unscrupulous commander-in-chief gets a taste of what can be done without these strictures on his powers, the trend throughout history has always been to retain those new powers rather than to relinquish them. And does anyone really believe Trump would walk away from such powers?

We know how this will go. He'll suspend whatever he wants. Then he'll convince his Red Hats that he needs to keep those powers because insert-bullshit-here. Not only will his Red Hats cheer for it, but Trump's Republican allies on the Hill will do nothing to stop him. In fact, the chants of "lock her up!" would intensify knowing how Trump could literally do exactly that. From there, also as I've been predicting, Trump will begin to round up dissidents who are perceived to be undermining his authority.

Funny. Remember all that gibberish from Trump about respecting due process -- innocent until proven guilty and so forth? Suspending habeas is, of course, a major trespass against due process. The very fact that the White House is considering it is a bastardization of the Constitution, knowing there really isn't an invasion at all. But Trump says there's an invasion, and that's all the Red Hats need to hear, despite the reality that Trump's spent his entire career lying about everything from the Central Park Five to the quality of Trump Steaks.

One last thing, speaking of lies. Sanders said this today: "He got elected with an overwhelming majority of 63 million Americans." Do I even need to say it? Does this even need to be debunked?

Eight days to go... And the stakes just got bigger, as if that was even possible.

RELATED