Here Are 6 Ways You Can Help In The 2018 Midterms

There are only ten days to go until the 2018 midterm elections, but don't get scared. There's still a lot you can do to help out.
50101A9C-2D68-433C-AC34-98831B85B6E3_cx25_cy6_cw75_w1023_r1_s

After Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation, I decided to channel my anger into activism, vowing that for every day from now until the election I would either canvas or phone bank for Democrats and if I couldn't do either of those things, I would just give $5.00 to a candidate I like. It's not only been an experiment I've kept up with, but it's also made me feel much better about doing my part. If you care as much as I do about there being a Blue Wave next month, here are some things you can do.

1. Make Small Donations

If you love a candidate, give any amount you can to them. I've been donating every couple of days for the last month and every little bit helps to get us over the finish line.

2. Phone Bank with Indivisible

In the past month I've phone-banked for such candidates as Andrew Gillum, Beto O'Rourke, Stacey Abrams, and Heidi Heitkamp through Indivisible You can spend as little or as much time as you want making calls for whatever candidate they have listed, or you can find one that you support and sign up for a time through their service. This link will give you their next sessions and a chance to sign up.

3. Canvas

Use SwingLeft to find your nearest Republican district and then help out to flip that district blue. This year I've canvased for Max Rose to defeat South Brooklyn/Staten Island congressman Daniel Donovan, and for Harley Rouda to defeat Dana Rohrabacher in California. You learn a lot by going door-to-door and talking with voters, and you'll be inspired by the activism of those working on their campaigns who go out and do this every day.

4. Drive Voters To Their Polling Places

If you want to make a big difference to voters at a disadvantage, offer to drive them to their polling places. This could make a big difference in places like Kansas, where polling places have been moved far out of reach for many people. Use websites like Drive the Vote and Carpool Vote to find out about opportunities near you. Also, if you live in an area that's affected by voter suppression, Lyft, Uber, and other ride apps are offering free or discounted rides to the polls.

5. Become a Poll Worker

If you want to help out at your local polling place, check out this guideline at the U.S. Election Assistance Commission. Download their rulebook and they'll tell you exactly how to get involved.

6. Know What To Do If You Face Voter Intimidation

Have the following numbers on hand in case you or a friend are told they can't vote: the Election Protection Hotline (866-OUR-VOTE) can help you. They can direct you to your state's hotline, where you'll be redirected to an attorney. A friend of mine called me with this problem recently and with the help of the hotline, I was able to address her problem right away.

Got any other ideas? Let me know in the comments. We need all hands on deck to win and every bit of activism goes a long way.

RELATED