The Media Yawns At Political Assassination Attempts Now?

What happens when the press is a willing accomplice to right-wing violence?
george-soros

I'm old enough to remember just a few months ago when the political media came to a screeching standstill because the left was rude to high profile people on the right. People yelling at Mitch McConnell, asking Sarah Sanders to leave their restaurant, flipping Steve Miller the middle finger, all of these things were simply inexcusable!

And Antifa was just the worst! Why, they punched genocidal Nazis in the face and chased them away from their "Death to all Jews" marches! What was the country coming to with all of this incivility?!?!

And yet, you'd hardly know it from the same media that someone just tried to assassinate the right's ultimate boogeyman George Soros:

Federal and state law enforcement officials responded to the scene in Katonah, N.Y., a hamlet in the upscale town of Bedford in northern Westchester County, after the Bedford Police Department received a call about a suspicious package at about 3:45 p.m.

“An employee of the residence opened the package, revealing what appeared to be an explosive device,” the police said in a statement. “The employee placed the package in a wooded area and called the Bedford police.”

Fortunately, the bomb was either a fake or a dud or that employee would be very dead right now.

The New York Times article I pulled that from is buried more than halfway down the front page of their website. It's not even on CNN's front page anymore. Was it there yesterday? I don't know. You'd think a politically motivated assassination attempt, no matter how sloppy, would be big news 24 hours later. I'm sure the editors would argue that they don't have enough facts to make it a Headline News Story but that didn't stop them from rushing to print at the top of the page any story about Hillary Clinton that had the slightest whiff of negativity about it. And we all saw how big a deal it was when a restaurant politely asked Sanders to leave.

But a bomb sent to kill the one person the right hates more than almost anyone except maybe Obama and Hillary? Well, that's just regular news. Nothing to get too worked up over. Can you imagine if someone sent a bomb to kill one of the Koch brothers? It would be a month before the press stopped wagging its finger at the left for being so violent.

At the same time, it's been over a week since the right's latest group of Brownshirts, the "Proud Boys," savagely beat three men to a pulp while the police watched and did nothing. It's been a few days since they cursed and screamed at Nancy Pelosi for being a "Communist." No outrage from the same media that lost its collective mind when Robert De Niro cursed at Trump

By choosing to only scold the left for its tone while turning a blind eye to the right's increasingly violent acts, the press has signaled that right-wing violence is acceptable while left-wing resistance in any form is not. This is not a new dynamic but the question it raises takes on an increased urgency as we face what is likely to be an extremely violent right-wing freakout in the wake of severe Republicans losses in two weeks: What happens when the media chooses a side and it's the wrong one?

I don't know but we're about to find out.

RELATED