Republicans Shamelessly Running On Key Obamacare Policy They Tried To Destroy

Republican shame, subterfuge and dishonesty apparently knows no bounds.
Updated:
Original:
Scott Walker

Scott Walker: hypocrite extraordinaire

Despite having desperately tried to destroy Obamacare and replace it with, well, nothing, Republicans are now using President Obama's signature policy to try and win elections.

NBC outlined today the breathtakingly hypocritical strategies of several Republicans running in close Senate and gubernatorial elections that includes bragging about their support for forcing insurance companies to cover all pre-existing conditions -- a signature part of the Affordable Care Act. This despite the fact that all of them tried to dismantle Obamacare and everything in it. Reported NBC

Here’s GOP Senate candidate Josh Hawley in Missouri: “We've got two perfect little boys. Earlier this year, we learned that our oldest has a rare chronic disease. Pre-existing condition — we know what that means,” he says to camera in a TV ad. “I support forcing insurance companies to cover ALL pre-existing conditions. And Claire McCaskill knows it. You deserve a senator who’s driven to fix this mess — not one just trying to hang on to her office.”

But as attorney general of Missouri, Hawley signed on to a conservative lawsuit in February 2018 arguing that Obamacare — and everything in it, including protections for pre-existing conditions — is unconstitutional. “Once the heart of the ACA — the individual mandate — is declared unconstitutional, the remainder of the ACA must also fall,” the lawsuit states.

Republican shame, subterfuge and dishonesty apparently knows literally no bounds. This isn't just a one off either, as other Republicans around the country are touting their support for banning insurance companies from denying coverage to those with pre-existing conditions.

“My wife Tonette is a Type 1 diabetic," says extremist libertarian governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin in a political ad. "My mother is a survivor of breast cancer. And my brother has a heart condition. You see, covering pre-existing conditions is personal to me. Plus, it’s just the right thing to do. As long as I’m governor, I will always cover pre-existing conditions.”

Walker, as NBC points out, "joined the same lawsuit arguing that Obamacare is unconstitutional. And Walker has argued to repeal and replace Obamacare."

Republican Martha McSally, who is running for the Senate in Arizona, claimed in a debate with her Democratic opponent Kyrsten Sinema that she “voted to protect people with pre-existing conditions.” She also voted for the House legislation to repeal and replace Obamacare that would have led to massive spikes in cost for people with pre-existing conditions or, as the CBO concluded, made it impossible for them to buy insurance at all:

People who are less healthy (including those with preexisting or newly acquired medical conditions) would ultimately be unable to purchase comprehensive nongroup health insurance at premiums comparable to those under current law, if they could purchase it at all.

This week, Politico ran a piece on House GOP leader Cathy McMorris Rodgers, who is locked in a very tight race with Democratic rival Lisa Brown in Washington state. Rodgers, despite having a child with Down syndrome, also voted to repeal and replace Obamacare. She is now claiming however, that she supports banning insurance companies from not covering people with pre-existing conditions.  Rodgers has made no mention of Affordable Care Act repeal or a GOP replacement plan on her website, for obvious reasons.

These outrageous double standards are simply par for the course for Republicans. They can elect and defend a lying charlatan with a history of sexually assaulting women while claiming to be the part of 'Family Values'. They can sit quietly while Trump threatens the press, incites his supporters to violence, and calls white supremacists "very fine people", and then claim the Democrats are ruining civil discourse in America. They can ram trillions of dollars in tax cuts for billionaires through Congress knowing it will create giant deficits, then claim it "isn't a Republican problem" and blame it on poor Americans. Now, they can attempt to destroy health care legislation that protects people with pre-existing conditions from being thrown off of their health care insurance, then claim they were for it all along.

You can stop this madness quite easily. Just vote them out on November 6th.

Don't forget to read the latest for Banter Members in our digital mag 'Banter M': Donald Trump Is Inciting His Mob to Violence

RELATED