A "Good Catholic" Pharmacist Denied Medication to a Woman Having a Miscarriage

The anti-woman right's ignorance is so profound it's now becoming dangerous.
Meijer925

In their zeal to turn America into New Gilead, the anti-abortion, anti-woman right is now putting the lives of women in danger to satisfy their own egos:

An Ionia woman is demanding that Meijer discipline a Petoskey pharmacist and implement a company-wide policy for how pharmacists should handle religious and moral objections to dispensing medication after she was denied a prescription to help complete a miscarriage.

Rachel Peterson, 35, alleges a pharmacist at the Meijer store on Lears Road in Petoskey refused to fill her prescription for a drug called misoprostol (brand name Cytotec) in July because of his personal religious views. She says he also refused to transfer the prescription to another pharmacy.

Peterson is being too kind. This pharmacist, a self-professed "good Catholic male," said she was lying when Peterson told him it was to facilitate her miscarriage. Putting aside the absolute cruelty of kicking a woman at probably the worst moment of her life, because of his arrogance and ignorance, this "good Catholic male" put a woman's life in significant danger. That's assault and he should be facing prison time for recklessly endangering Peterson's life.

If you think that's an overreaction, you are not aware, as the "good Catholic male" certainly is not, just how badly a miscarriage can go. When my wife had her first miscarriage 12 years ago, she almost bled out in her sleep. Another hour and she would have died. The doctors had to perform a D and C, dilation and curettage, the same procedure as an abortion. In the "perfect world" of the religious fanatics currently running our country, they wouldn't have done this. After all, a miracle could occur at any moment and save the baby! And, no, I am not making that up. That is the mindset of these people. They would have rather watched my wife bleed to death than save her life and end an already nonviable pregnancy.

How do I know this? Because that's almost exactly what happened in Ireland to Savita Halappanavar. She miscarried and instead of ending the pregnancy when it was safe, the doctors made her wait until the fetal heartbeat stopped. But by then she had contracted an infection and she died. The doctors knew the fetus was nonviable but the law demanded they wait for a miracle that was never going to come and it cost a woman her life.

That's what being a "good Catholic male" gets you and that's what could have happened to Peterson. So, yeah, she should have pressed charges for assault. It's one (terrible) thing to hide your misogyny behind your "religious beliefs" in order to deny women birth control; it's quite another to put a woman's life at risk because you think she's lying to you about having a miscarriage.

Let's put it this way: If Mr. "Good Catholic Male" had withheld heart medication from an elderly man or antibiotics from a baby because he didn't believe they needed them, would we be talking about disciplining him or about arresting him for reckless endangerment? Just because it's a woman's body doesn't make the circumstances any different. Pharmacists don't get to pick and choose which prescriptions to fill based on their personal beliefs. And they certainly don't get to put people's lives at risk to fulfill their need to punish women.

If that's the kind of country they want to live in, they can go to Afghanistan and join the Taliban. They'll feel right at home.

RELATED