Joe Biden Is Right, Democrats Must Not Impeach Trump If They Win The House

Former Vice President Joe Biden told "CBS This Morning" that he hopes Democrats do not try to impeach Donald Trump if they retake the House of Representatives after the midterm elections in November.
Updated on
Joe Biden

Joe Biden

Former Vice President Joe Biden told "CBS This Morning" that he hopes Democrats do not try to impeach Donald Trump if they retake the House of Representatives after the midterm elections in November.

"I hope they don't. I don't think there's a basis for doing that right now," Biden said.

"I think we should focus on all the terrible things that are happening now in terms of interest of the middle class people and working class people," he went on.

"There are so many things to attend to immediately. Let's see where the investigation takes us," he said, referring to special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe.

Biden stated that he believed there should be no talk of impeachment until the investigation has been concluded.

“I’ve been around a long time," he said. "You wait until the investigation’s finished. You don’t put an arbitrary end to it. You wait until it’s finished, and let’s see what it has to say."

When asked whether he believes a report from the investigation should be released before the midterms, Biden stated that he thinks it should be released only when the investigation is finished. As Politico noted: "Justice Department regulations prohibit investigators from politically sensitive releases or steps in the weeks leading up to elections, an effort to avoid the impression of partisanship."

While Biden's comments won't be taken well by many Democrats eager to hold Trump to account for the many impeachable offenses he has committed, it is always prudent to remember political reality. Without concrete evidence compiled in an official FBI report of collusion and/or obstruction of justice, it would be completely impossible to impeach Trump for anything. Impeachment requires a two-thirds super majority in the Senate if charges are brought by the House, and given Republicans will still likely control the Senate, there is almost zero chance anything would be taken remotely seriously.

There is a very good chance that the Mueller probe will reveal serious evidence of collusion and obstruction of justice given what we know thus far. Mueller has secured guilty pleas from 32 people and three companies so far, including several people very close to president Trump. Mueller has rattled Trump and his administration badly, and there is likely much more to come. If the Democrats begin impeachment proceedings before an official report is compiled and released, they risk negating the effects of it when it does come out.

It would be better for the Democrats, and Biden suggested, to focus on the other areas of Trump's corruption and begin official investigations into things like his tax returns and his serious mishandling of Hurricane Maria earlier this year.

The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee  controlled by Democrats would have serious power to investigate Trump, and would put the brakes on his legislative agenda very, very quickly. Given the White House's legal team is comprised of fourth rate hack lawyers incapable of keeping their defense straight for more than two days in a row, Trump would be rendered impotent almost immediately.

Perhaps most importantly, if the Democrats control the House, they will be able to protect the Mueller probe and ensure it is funded properly. If they can hold out for as long as it takes for Mueller to finish his investigation, there could be a huge, huge pay off.

At 75, Biden may not be presidential material anymore. But he has seen enough to know how this could play out, and the Democrats would be smart to listen to his advice.

Read Bob Cesca's latest MEMBERS ONLY article in 'Banter M': Incivility And Violent Rhetoric Begins And Ends With Trump’s GOP

RELATED