Georgia Just Turned into a GOP 4-Alarm Fire as Early Voting More than Triples

Watch for a sudden spike in voter suppression and "technical glitches" that just happen to help Republicans.
Updated on
wptv_early_voting_1477074299945_48466086_ver1.0_640_480

Monday was the first day of early voting in Georgia and it's...not going well for Republicans.

Voters across Georgia rushed to the polls on the first day of in-person early voting Monday, with 69,049 people casting their ballots.

That’s a sharp increase from the last midterm election in 2014, when 20,898 people showed up on the first day of in-person early voting, according to numbers from the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office.

But wait, it gets worse. According to Georgiavotes.com, as of Tuesday, just the second day of early voting, 211,861 people have voted. That's compared to the roughly 940,000 who voted early in total in 2014. There are still almost three weeks until the election and the pace of early voting picks up sharply the week before. If these numbers hold steady, we could see more people vote early than voted in the entire 2014 midterm.

If one were a Republican, one might be tempted to dismiss this as nothing to worry about. After all, Republican voters are totally fired up about the midterms! Fox News said so so it must be true! Brian Kemp is running as Georgia's version of Trump against Stacey Abrams, a black woman. Clearly, there's just no way he could lose in deep red Georgia!

But there's a reason Republican legislatures all across the country savagely curtailed early voting: It disproportionately benefits Democrats. By a lot. So when we see an enormous spike in early voting, especially a spike in women voters (53.1% vs. 45% men), we can make an educated guess they're not showing up to vote for a Republican.

Of course, this means that Kemp, already abusing his position as Secretary of State, will redouble his efforts to rig the election. Emboldened by a Department of Justice that will do nothing to reign him in, expect to see some of the most breathtaking election tampering in our lifetime followed by a massive PR war lead by Fox News to legitimize it. The only way to stop that from happening will be to vote in such overwhelming numbers that they would have to throw out hundreds of thousands of votes to claim victory. Republicans aren't quite at that level of fascism yet. Probably. We have three weeks until we find out.

Until then, keep watching the results as they come in. The larger the spike in early voting, the more the GOP is going to panic. Guaranteed.

RELATED