The 'Due Process' People Are Back To Hating Due Process Again - The Daily Banter
Trump just finished lecturing us about due process then turned around and opened up another Red Hat kangaroo court.

I'll confess here at the outset: my tolerance for Donald Trump and all of his accompanying cruel whimsy has reached an all new low. Chiefly, the shit flinging, without any real accountability for it, is overloading my logic circuits to the point of seizing up -- to the point where it feels redundant to say all this, yet it needs to be said.

Specifically, you might remember the olden times, y'know, seven days ago when Trump repeatedly lectured Democrats, and especially women affected by the ascendancy of an accused sexual predator and Trump-puppet to the Supreme Court, about due process. He explained it like he always does with his usual Dunning-Kruger condescension, as if he's the only human who knows this information and therefore he's bestowing it upon us as if we're all clueless. For example:

“My whole life I’ve heard you’re innocent until proven guilty, but now you’re guilty until proven innocent -- that is a very difficult standard.”

"I say that it's a very scary time for young men in America when you can be guilty of something that you may not be guilty of,"

"What's happening here has much more to do than even the appointment of a Supreme Court justice. It really does. You can be somebody that was perfect your entire life and somebody could accuse you of something, doesn't necessarily have to be a woman, as everybody says, but somebody could accuse you of something and you are automatically guilty."

Yeah, we get it. People are innocent until proven guilty in this country. Duh. This is a constitutional value, one that sets the United States apart from many other nations where kangaroo courts, run by authoritarians and kleptocrats, summarily destroy innocent people for a variety of wholly fabricated non-infraction infractions -- where corrupt populists and strong-men tell their subjects they're interested in law and order and they stupidly believe it... until they're black-bagged and disappeared.

The Constitution shields us from kangaroo courts even though despots big and small throughout American history have exploited loopholes in the system to unjustly detain and convict innocent people without due process, most glaringly during the Jim Crow era in the South.

Ironically, Trump exploited due process on his way toward convicting the #MeToo activists as an "evil" "mob," not realizing that what happened in and around the Senate Judiciary Committee at the time had nothing to do with due process. Activists simply wanted Brett Kavanaugh's accusers to be taken seriously by their senators and their president.

Instead, Trump lectured them about something he truly doesn't give a flying shit about, and which no one was attempting to circumvent.

How do I know he doesn't care about due process? That's easy.

It's because a little more than three days later, Trump was back to convicting people in his own kangaroo court, complete with his gawking, buy-eyed disciples in their matching headgear serving as jury and jailer.

First, during a rally in Iowa on Tuesday, Trump welcomed the "lock her up" chant from his disciples, this time in reference to Dianne Feinstein, the ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee. Why? Because Trump insisted without evidence that Feinstein deliberately leaked Christine Blasey Ford's letter. Incidentally, Trump's moronic cult followers were clearly unaware that leaking a document like that isn't against the law. Even if it were against the law, the dopes and automatons chanting "lock her up" obviously weren't listening to what their leader said about due process just a few days earlier.

To be clear: "lock her up" is the complete opposite of due process. These easily-manipulated townspeople from The Simpsons were literally saying: toss Dianne Feinstein in jail right now. No "innocent until proven guilty" here. She's automatically guilty and should be locked up, says the real "mob." And Trump, like always, sucked it down like a bucket of KFC.

Then, Thursday night, it happened again, this time during a rally in Erie, Pennsylvania:

"There was collusion between Hillary, the Democrats and Russia," Trump said, just after his supporters had chanted "lock her up" about Clinton. "There was a lot of collusion with them and Russia and lots of other people."

Right, more "lock her up" chants about Hillary this time. Let me know if they ever chant "due process!" when Trump mentions Hillary or another Democratic woman so I can watch out for flying pigs.

The truly infuriating aspect of this is, naturally, the contradiction -- the clear and unapologetic hypocrisy of it all. He just told us he values due process, and then he turned around and opened up for business another kangaroo court.

On top of that, I'm feeling a sense of futility as if shit like this has become normalized, as if we're all accustomed to Trump's ongoing fuckery, therefore to point it out is redundant or nitpicky -- the way some "very serious" journalists are about Trump's tweets.

It's as wrong as ever that Trump continues to get away with these egregious trespasses against decency and logic and reality and consistency. It's wrong that he can embrace due process only when it's convenient for him, then ditch it the next time he needs validation. But there it went. He did it twice this week, and the nation barely shrugged.

Go ahead: feel free to label me hopelessly distracted because I have no plans to take anything emerging from the White House -- including tweets and rallies -- as being less serious or somehow innocuous. It's all toxic, it's a poisonous, it's all a rapidly metastasizing cancer on the system. We can't allow ourselves to become immune to Trump's various forms of madness otherwise he wins

I know it's painful. Trust me, I know it sucks to stay on top of this rat bastard and his cavalcade of Red Hats practically around the clock. But Trump is just waiting for us to give up. Indeed the entire purpose of "owning the libs" is to frustrate us into giving up and going home. And, oh yes, I'm frustrated. I'm also not budging from my post even though it'd feel really good to ignore him.

All of his horrendousness needs to be met with devastatingly overwhelming turnout on November 6. This election is a referendum on Trump as much as anyone else. The midterms need to be a resounding rejection of Trumpism in all of its forms. If it's not, it's only going to get worse. On the other hand, if it turns out the way we want it to, the nation and our posterity will be significantly better off.

24 days to go.

RELATED