Our Agenda Must Now Include Adding 2 Seats to the Supreme Court - The Daily Banter

Our Agenda Must Now Include Adding 2 Seats to the Supreme Court

Republicans have rigged the game and this is the only way to stop their bullshit.
73b4b8dc06f294b43035539c5ff1735c

Picture this: It's 2020. Donald Trump and the entire leadership of the GOP have been caught on video eating a live baby while worshipping a golden statue of Vladimir Putin. Except for the 60 million Trump voters who applaud them for their healthy nutritional habits and choice of false idols, the rest of country votes in a blue wave that sees the Democrats take over 80 Senate seats, 400 House seats, and the Oval Office with 75% of the vote. President Bernie Sanders gets to work and by the end of the first month, signs bills for Medicare for all, free community college, loan forgiveness, increases taxes on the rich, and a whole raft of progressive laws that will improve the country for the next 100 years.

And then the Supreme Court, led by Brett Kavanaugh's ideological extremism, strikes them all down as "unconstitutional." These laws won't actually be unconstitutional, of course, and the rulings will be legalistic gibberish, but that won't matter. The only thing that matters is stopping Democrats from advancing any kind of agenda while they're in power.

This is why it is now mandatory for any candidate talking about "Medicare for all" or "fixing income equality" or, really, any kind of long-term agenda to preface it with "adding two Justices to the Supreme Court." Anything else is mental masturbation because it will not happen.

Remember, the conservatives on the Court are masters of hypocrisy. They were all about "states' rights" until they needed to stop the Florida recount in 2000. Then they tailored the decision so narrowly that it could never be used to challenge another close race like, for instance, 2016. These are the same people who told us that corporations have unlimited rights but unions and actual people do not. If we do not take the Court away from them, they will block anything and everything not approved of by the billionaires that own them.

Republicans know they are just a few years away from losing the demographic battle for control of the country. Their rapid descent into white nationalism and its constant companion overt misogyny means they will soon lose the ability to hold a majority in the Senate and House regardless of their gerrymandering and voter suppression. The White House will be forever out of their reach as women, Latinos, blacks, the LGBT community, etc, spit on Republican candidates. That's why they plan to run the country as a minority party blocking everything the majority tries to pass. And if they can't filibuster it, they're going to use the courts to strike it down. That's why they've been rushing to fill as many of the vacancies they left open under Obama with extremists. And if that doesn't work, they'll have the Supreme Court strike it down for them and legislate from the bench.

It's a planned coup by judicial fiat and if we're going to stop it, we have to dilute the power they stole on the high court. Republicans will screech that we're "packing the Court" and they're not wrong. But they stole two seats so, at the end of the day, their opinion on the matter is worth about one pound of dog shit. The Constitution does not set a size for the Court and it's up to We the People, not "What Best Suits Republican Greed and Corruption." Mitch McConnell and the Senate GOP broke America. We can either fix it over their howls of protest (which, frankly, should be a bonus at this point) or be cowed by their bullshit and let their coup succeed.

The bottom line here is that anyone serious about implementing a progressive agenda has to now be serious about expanding the Supreme Court. Without that necessary step, their agenda is dead in the water because Republicans stole the Court precisely to kill that agenda. There will be no Medicare for All without 2 new seats on the Supreme Court filled by Justices not beholden to right-wing extremism. It really is that simple.

RELATED