Burn The Republican Party To The Ground

There's no nice way to say this anymore: they must be completely destroyed.
920x920

Today marks the one-year anniversary of The New York Times' report that brought down Harvey Weinstein, which effectively launched the #MeToo movement. The Republicans have decided to honor that by confirming an alleged sexual assaulter to the Supreme Court. Despite the thousands of brave protestors who risked their well-being to have their say, despite the testimony of Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and the allegations made by Debra Ramirez and Julie Swetnick, and despite every single thing Brett Kavanaugh himself has done to display how unqualified he is to sit on the bench, none of it matters anymore. Susan Collins has already said she will vote yes, and so has Democrat Joe Manchin, and the spineless Jeff Flake will likely follow.

We have called their offices. We have shown up to protest. We have yelled at their unfairness on the floor of the Senate. All Republicans have done to honor us is shrug it off, belittle us, and act as if we do not matter. There is only one thing we can do now.

Burn the entire Republican Party to the ground.

I mean it.

Every single elected official in the Republican Party needs to be voted out of office for the survival of the country. They have made it clear over the last month that they do not care about your rights - as a woman, as a person of color, as an LGBTQ person, or however you choose to identify yourself.

Two years ago, they voted for a confessed sexual assaulter who has been accused of rape and thought nothing of it. Now they are going to confirm a judge has assaulted women in the past and may have done worse if more is revealed.

Why? Because morals mean nothing to them anymore. It is about consolidating their power. As long as you lose, they're happy. They want your tears. How many times have MAGA trolls taken to the internet to "own the libs?" This is a zero-sum game for them. It's not enough that they succeed; others must fail. And putting Kavanaugh on the bench shows how insignificant they think you are.

Let my words to the voters serve as a warning to every incumbent Republican: you are not insignificant. You matter. Your vote matters. Use it.

When you go to the polls, cast your ballot not just against whatever Republican is running, but for the Democrat running against them, even if they are less than perfect, or even if you have never voted Democratic in your life. The Democratic Party is the only party in the country that actually wants to make your life better. And even if you think it's not enough that they're only against Trump, guess what - that's enough for right now.

Turn the screws on the Republicans so much so that they are on their knees, pleading with you for "civility" and "nuance" and "engaging in dialogue." Ignore that. They have repeatedly cut off all avenues for dialogue, whether it's their refusal to hold town hall meetings or their lack of transparency by withholding documents and bills until the last minute so no one can debate them.

They must be made to feel the weight of their decisions for the rest of their lives, and the best way you can do that is by voting them all out of office this November, and the November after that, and the November after that.

Maybe someday, after the Democrats have repaired enough of the damage, the Republican Party can rebuild itself from the ashes and become what it once used to be: a party of fiscally conservative men and women who check the balance of power. Our two-party system has worked before, and it can work again. But before it can, one of the two parties must be eradicated from the face of the planet.

So burn it down. Burn it all to the ground. And show them absolutely no mercy while you're doing it.

Correction: An earlier version of this article stated that Brett Kavanaugh as a known sexual assaulter. We have amended to reflect the fact that he is an alleged sexual assaulter given he has not been found guilty of any crime.

RELATED