Massive Texas Voter Registration Surge Is a Bad Sign for Republicans - The Daily Banter

Massive Texas Voter Registration Surge Is a Bad Sign for Republicans

They only see this kind of enthusiasm during presidential elections.
sfl-voters-banned-from-using-restrooms-20140409

Lost in last week's roar of Kavanaugh news was a warning sign of the blue wave coming to annihilate Republicans a little over a month from now:

The Texas voter rolls have grown to 15.6 million people, a new record, and a jump of 1.6 million since the last time Texas held a midterm election in 2014, said Texas Secretary of State Rolando Pablos.

That includes nearly a 400,000-person increase since March, election records show. To put that number in perspective, from 2002 to 2014, the state added just over 100,000 voters a year, on average.

Let's be perfectly clear here - Texans ain't pounding down the door to vote for Ted Cruz. Even among extremely conservative Texans, he only has a favorability rating of 53%. On the other hand, Beto O'Rourke just had the largest rally for a single candidate since the 2016 presidential election. And here's the most important bit: His support cuts across all age groups so unlike, say, a Bernie rally which skews young, O'Rourke's supporters are more likely to show up and actually vote.

But it gets worse for both Cruz and the GOP:

Since March, the state’s largest counties, Bexar, Harris, Dallas and Tarrant, all saw their voter registrations grow about 2.4 percent on average.

Over the past six months, Harris County has added 55,000 voters — more than any other county. But the growth has been even more pronounced in suburban counties ringing Houston. In Fort Bend and Montgomery counties, voter rolls grew 3 percent. In Collin and Denton counties just north of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, voter registration jumped almost 4 percent.

Two fast-growing counties that border Austin have seen the largest gains by percentage. In Williamson County, just north of Austin, the voter registration jumped over 4 percent. The biggest gain since March has been in Hays County, which saw a 4.4 percent increase in the number of registered voters.

In 2016 Hillary won Bexar, Dallas, Harris, and Fort Bend. She lost the rest but, again, it's unlikely that voters are rushing out to register to defend the honor of Ted "Even my own party hates me" Cruz. Some of this increased registration is due to tight House races but even there, it's because Democrats are mounting strong challenges to Republicans.

This doesn't mean Texas is going to turn blue overnight but it does mean that Ted Cruz and the Texas GOP are in a lot of trouble. If the Democrats take back a Senate seat and even a handful of House seats in blood red Texas, it's going to energize Texas Democratic voters. It also portends a national disaster for the rest of the party. Sure, O'Rourke is super charismatic, but if voter registration is exploding like this in Texas, the state with the lowest voter participation, what's happening in the rest of the country that we're not hearing enough about?

And after Republicans force an alleged sexual predator onto the Supreme Court, how much worse will the midterms be for them? We're going to find out in just five weeks as long as we all vote to get rid of the most corrupt political party in American history.

RELATED