At Last, Obama Unleashes On Trump: "How Hard Is It To Say Nazis Are Bad?"

Finally, President Obama has come out and delivered a stinging critique of president Trump and his repellant political movement.
Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 6.34.58 PM

Finally, President Obama has come out and delivered a stinging critique of president Trump and his repellant political movement. Perhaps more tellingly, for the first time since the 2016 election, Obama called Trump out by name.

"You happen to be coming of age" amid backlash to progress, Obama told the crowd at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign.

"It did not start with Donald Trump, he is a symptom, not the cause. He is just capitalizing on resentment that politicians have been fanning for years. A fear, an anger that is rooted in our past but is also borne in our enormous upheavals that have taken place in your brief lifetimes."

Obama also called Trump out for refusing to condemn White Supremacists responsible for the violence in Charlottesville last year.

"It shouldn't be Democratic or Republican to say that we don't target groups of people because of what they look like or how they pray," he said.  "We are supposed to stand up to discrimination and we are sure as heck to stand up clearly and unequivocally to Nazi sympathizers."

"How hard can that be, saying that Nazis are bad?"

Obama also went after Trump for politicizing the Department of Justice and the FBI, accusing him of calling for "the attorney general to protect members of own party from prosecution because elections happen to be coming up."

It is highly unusual for a former President to criticize a sitting one, but this is an unusual time and Obama is no doubt acutely aware of the stakes at hand. Given the danger Trump poses to the future of American democracy, he is clearly timing his public rebuke in time for the mid term elections in November.

Taking back at least one house in Congress is absolutely vital if America is to survive Trumpism, and the part needs to deliver beyond all expectation. If Obama can reach much needed millennials and convince swing voters to vote against Trump supporting candidates, he could assist Democratic candidates in a truly historic victory.

Welcome to the Resistance, Mr. President. We've all been waiting for you.

RELATED