Trump Accidentally Compares Himself To Nixon During Watergate

Updated:
Original:

In a slew of tweets this past weekend, Donald Trump has managed to incriminate himself further in the Russia probe, most notably by accidentally comparing himself to Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal, and dismissing informants as “rats.”

Attacking the New York Times for their piece about White House Counsel Don McGahn cooperating "extensively" Mueller, Trump used John Dean, who was Richard Nixon's White House counsel and deeply involved in the Watergate cover-up before he turned and became a key witness for the prosecution, as a comparison:

It is an unfortunate comparison for a number of reasons, the first being that Richard Nixon resigned because it was clear he was guilty of obstruction of justice and abuse of presidential power. Second, John Dean is widely regarded as doing the right thing during the Watergate scandal, and his turning on Nixon an act of patriotism. Given Trump is historically illiterate, it is unclear whether he understands that Nixon was guilty of the crimes he was accused of, and how John Dean is now regarded. However, it may be that he is so confident of his ability to escape this extraordinary scandal that he is rubbing it in the media's face with a brazen analogy he knows will set off a media fire storm. Either way, Trump is essentially confessing his guilt -- he is either a modern day Richard Nixon and guilty of the crimes he has been accused of, or so stupid he isn't aware of his part in aiding Russia and Vladimir Putin. "I am actually honored to be on his enemies list as I was on Nixon's when I made it there," John Dean told Axios today. "This is a president I hold in such low esteem I would be fretting if he said something nice." "Trump doesn't really know what he's done," said Dean of McGahn's cooperation with Mueller. "I don't think he really knows what this involved, and it's got to be incredibly helpful to Mueller, to put things in perspective and timelines...from somebody who was right there." We'll have to wait for Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani to explain that Trump comparing himself to Nixon wasn't actually Trump comparing himself to Nixon, because of course, truth isn't really truth anymore, and what Trump says today might not be what Trump means tomorrow. Regardless, if McGahn really is cooperating with Mueller as extensively as the Times report claims he is, then it is almost certain that it in reality (not Giuliani's version of it), it won't be good for Trump.

RELATED