Watch Former Republican Steve Schmidt Eviscerate Trump And His 'Cult Supporters'

John McCain's former campaign manager Steve Schmidt was on Bill Maher this weekend, and spent much of the night eviscerating Trump and his cult like supporters. It was a powerful performance by the man who recently denounced his party and became a Democrat, and his words were frightening to say the least.

Trump, he believes, is taking America close to the abyss, and the only we he sees through it is to annihilate the movement as quickly as possible. Here he was discussing exactly what is at stake:

"We're seeing someone going to mass rallies, constantly lie to incite fervor in a cult of personality base," he said. "We're seeing him make victimization honorable -- they are all victims, right? We're seeing the allegations of conspiracy, the deep state, hidden nefarious movements that only the leader can see, we see the scapegoating of minority populations, vulnerable populations, and lastly the assertion that "I need to exercise these powers that no president have ever claimed to have".

"This is deliberate," he went on. "This is an assault on objective truth, and once you get people to surrender their sovereignty, that what is true is what the leader says is true, what is true is what the leader believes is true, even though what is true is what is staring you in the face, when that happens you are no longer living in a democratic Republic."

The fact that this is coming from a former Republican -- one who picked Sarah Palin to run as Vice President -- should tell you how bad things have gotten. Schmidt has made some terrible choices in the past, but he's doing his best to make up for them. He needs to keep speaking out, and loudly.

RELATED