Trump Administration Releases Fake Transcript Of Leaked Cohen Call

Updated on

In response to the leaked audio from Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen, the president’s legal team have provided a fake transcript of the audio recording in order to mitigate the damage.

In Cohen's recording, Trump can clearly be heard telling his lawyer to "pay cash" to buy the rights to former Playboy model Karen McDougal’s story about her affair with Trump. According to the Trump administration's transcript, Trump says, “Don’t pay with cash,” then mentions a “check.”

“The transcript that we provided CNN accurately reflects the taped conversation,” Trump's laywer Rudy Giuliani said in a statement.

Except of course, it doesn't.

“I need to open up a company for the transfer of all of that info regarding our friend David,” Cohen says to Trump (referring to American Media Inc. chief David Pecker).

Then, financing comes up again, and Trump interrupts asking, "What financing?" Cohen then tells Trump, "We'll have to pay," Trump then says "pay with cash", to which Cohen responds "No, no, no, no, no". Just listen below at the 2:49 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=745&v=EBB9TcOGqTg

It isn't hard to discredit the Trump administration's version of the transcript for one very good reason: why would Cohen suggest opening up a company to pay someone in cash? How many companies pay for goods or services in cash? Cohen's lawyer Lanny Davis put it this way:

What do they fear, Chris? Why am I representing him? They fear that he has the truth about Donald Trump. He will someday speak the truth about Donald Trump. The truth is that when Donald Trump said 'cash,' which Rudy Giuliani knows that only drug dealers and mobsters talk about cash, it was, you heard Michael Cohen ... say what? 'No, no, no, no.'"

He continued:

Ladies and gentlemen, if you voted for Donald Trump, listen to the tape and ask yourself: Is Donald Trump lying when he said he didn't use the word 'cash' and accuses Michael Cohen of using the word 'cash'? Cohen has been disparaged. Cohen has been insulted and called all sorts of things by people around Donald Trump.

This is likely inconsequential and won't damage Trump for the sole reason that his supporters will believe anything he says and the GOP won't hold him to account for his lying. If Trump says he said "don't pay with cash," then that's what happened -- even he is on tape clearly saying the exact opposite.

RELATED