Melania Is The Only Decent Person In Trump's White House - The Daily Banter

Melania Is The Only Decent Person In Trump's White House

Melania Trump married a scumbag and has stood by him through some of the most appalling scandals in American political history. She is no saint, and bears at least some responsibility for the actions of her husband. But she appears to at least have a beating heart, and used what influence she has to speak out against president Trump's monstrous policy of separating immigrant children from their parent at America's borders. From the Huff Post:

First lady Melania Trump issued a subtle rebuke to her husband’s administration on Sunday, saying she “hates” seeing children separated from their families by immigration authorities.

In a statement to CNN’s Kate Bennett, Trump made her first public comments about the Justice Department’s new “zero tolerance” policy towards illegal border-crossing, which has resulted in thousands of children being separated from their parents and placed in juvenile detention centers.

“Mrs. Trump hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform,” the statement, issued through the first lady’s spokeswoman, said. “She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart.”

Many on the left are not satisfied with the first lady's response to her husband's crimes against humanity, believing it is too little, too late. But I disagree. We know little about Melania Trump, so ascribing personality traits to her from afar isn't fair or responsible. But it is telling that she has chosen to speak out about this particular topic, and an indication that she has, unlike the other monsters in her husband's administration, a degree of empathy for some of the most vulnerable people on earth.

Melania's plea to stop this madness may not seem like a big deal, particularly given she refused to single out those actually responsible for the policy (ie. not the Democrats). But given the vileness of the Trump administration and the president's growing grip on power, her decision to speak out makes a difference. There are still actors close to the president resisting his impulses to destroy everything around him. The first lady may not be a political force to be reckoned with, but she is a reminder that there is still dissent in the White House, and hope that Trump's destructiveness can be tempered until he is voted out of office.

As for the rest of Trump's administration and the overwhelming majority of Republicans refusing to speak out about this horrifying crime against children, their cowardice and callousness will be recorded by historians and their names remembered for decades to come.

Oh, and welcome to the resistance, Melania. We need all the help we can get.

RELATED