According to Betsy DeVos, Trump School Safety Panel Won’t Look At Guns

Updated:
Original:

If you want proof that Americans live in two completely separate realities, look no further than Trump's school safety commission and their plans to decrease the likelihood of students dying in public high schools. Via Politico:

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos said at a congressional hearing on Tuesday that President Donald Trump’s school safety commission that she chairs will not study potential changes to gun laws.

The White House’s fact sheet announcing the formation of the commission in March said that the panel, made up of Cabinet secretaries, “will study and make recommendations” on a range of areas, including “age restrictions for certain firearm purchases.”

DeVos was asked by Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the top Democrat on the Senate Appropriations Committee, whether the school safety commission would examine guns.

“That is not part of the commission’s charge per se,” DeVos responded during testimony before the Senate appropriations subcommittee that oversees education funding. DeVos was there to testify on the department’s fiscal 2019 budget.

DeVos said that the commission would be focused on the roughly 20 areas that the White House had outlined for it.

“So you’re studying gun violence but not considering the role of guns?” Leahy asked DeVos again.

“We’re actually studying school safety and how we can ensure our students are safe at school,” DeVos said.

DeVos chairs the commission which was created after the February mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida that left 17 people dead.

So of course it makes complete sense that a commission formed in the wake of a mass school shooting to improve school safety doesn't study guns or gun laws. What's next? A climate change commission that doesn't study climate change? A health care commission that won't look at the role insurance companies play in the industry?

Madness. Complete and utter madness....

RELATED