Rick Santorum Blames Obama And Dead Black People For Racism In America - The Daily Banter

Rick Santorum Blames Obama And Dead Black People For Racism In America

It took me a moment to digest Rick Santorum's disgraceful comments on CNN yesterday, because they were so appalling, so detached from reality, and so nakedly racist that I had a hard time believing he could say this out loud.

On a panel discussion on State Of The Union, former Obama aide Karine Jean-Pierre outlined the origins of America's increased racial tensions in the wake of Donald Trump's presidency, making the very obvious point that many Americans were outraged by the election of a black man to the presidency and voted for Donald Trump to ensure the continuation of white male dominance.

"I would say we swung, we elect the first black president, and then we swung and elected Donald Trump," Jean-Pierre said. "And it is problematic, and it does say a lot about this country. And what Donald Trump did is that he tapped into it, because let's not forget he started his political career talking about birtherism, being the spokesperson of birtherism.”

For anyone remotely aware of the astonishing racism leveled at President Obama for the crime of being black, this isn't exactly a stretch. But not to Rick Santorum, a soulless dullard whose response to every appalling event in America is to blame the victim.

“What’s being ignored here is the role that Barack Obama played in all this,” he interjected. “I mean you just can’t go from well, we elected our first black president to all of a sudden we get Donald Trump. There was something in between those two things.”

Jean-Pierre fired back and corrected Santorum saying, "No, I'm saying that we tapped into something in this country when we elected the first black president.”

Santorum interrupted and continued his ridiculous diatribe. “The thing it tapped into was that many, many, many people saw Barack Obama being just that, doing more to exacerbate racism in this country.”

“How?” asked Jean-Pierre. “What did he do?”

“Every time there was a controversy where someone in color was involved, he took the side of, many times, against the police ― he did it over and over and over again,” he said

"People who were treated unjustifiably so?" interjected Jean-Pierre. "

“President Obama was to many people out there someone who could have come together, brought this country together,” replied Santorum.

"Are you talking about Trayvon Martin?" asked Jean-Pierre. "Is that what you are talking about? Where he [Obama] came out and said 'this was wrong,' a young boy who was shot wearing a hoodie?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Dl1Ps88WQ

Blaming The Victim

Of course Santorum did not answer the question, but this was obviously his point. President Obama did speak out about the murder of an unarmed black teenager, shot by a known racist in a crime so obviously motivated by the color of Martin's skin that only the most bigoted of Americans could argue otherwise. But then this is a man who told student anti gun protestors that they should go and take CPR courses instead of whining about being blown to pieces in school, compared gay marriage to incest, and likened the fight against Obamacare to the storming of Normandy.

In Santorum's mind, racial tension in America could not possibly be the result of hundreds of years of slavery, oppression, police brutality and discrimination against African Americans. It must be due to the first black president who dared to speak out about crimes committed against black people, and dead black children who dared to walk through their own neighborhoods at night.

It is worth remembering that Rick Santorum represents mainstream conservatism in America. This isn't far out, fringe politics -- this type of racist nonsense is a regular talking point on Fox News and taken as fact in the so called "real America". Donald Trump might be a racist, misogynistic megalomaniac who believes white supremacists are "fine people," but President Obama spoke out against racism and tried to protect black children from being shot by the police, so you know, "both sides" and all that.

RELATED