Trevor Noah Humiliates Giuliani: Legal Defense Of Trump "Like Smoking Weed Through The TV" - The Daily Banter

Trevor Noah Humiliates Giuliani: Legal Defense Of Trump "Like Smoking Weed Through The TV"

Appearing on ABC with George Stephanopoulos, Rudy Giuliani's stock as a hotshot lawyer took what can only be described as a spectacular nose dive. And Trevor Noah's response was perfect.
Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 11.52.10 AM

On a scale of 1-10, Rudy Giuliani's performance as Trump's new lawyer must now be in the negatives. The former Mayor of New York has had about as bad a start on the job as anyone in the Trump administration's short lived history, and it just keeps getting worse.

After confessing on public television last week that his client was guilty of a) knowing about the hush money paid to porn star Stormy Daniels, and b) did it to help him win the election in 2016, Giuliani was rebuked by Trump who stated his lawyer couldn't "get his facts straight" because he was so new on the job.

Giuliani spent the next few days trying to reverse the damage, yet only succeeded in making matters much, much worse. Appearing on ABC with George Stephanopoulos, Giuliani's stock as a hotshot lawyer took what can only be described as a spectacular nose dive. Stephanopoulos reminded Giuliani that he confessed to Trump knowing about the $130,000 hush money paid to Daniels, and that he reimbursed Michael Cohen for it.

“Well, maybe I did," said Giuliani. "But I ...right now, I’m at the point where I’m learning, and I can only ... I can’t prove that. I can just say it’s rumor. I can prove it’s rumor, but I can’t prove it’s fact.”

Giuliani then claimed not to know all the facts in Trump’s case given there are around  1.2 million documents related to it, then stated as fact that his boss never broke the law.

The Daily Show's Trevor Noah summed up this amazing contradiction perfectly.

“You can’t have it both ways," said Noah. "You can’t do that. It’s like a detective walking into a crime scene and immediately saying, ‘I don’t know what happened here, but I’m gonna say he’s innocent. O.K., let’s go get lunch.’”

Giuliani's defense was so incomprehensibly idiotic that Noah likened it to smoking weed "through the TV".

“I feel like I just smoked weed through the TV," he said. "Giuliani is in an interview telling us that we shouldn’t listen to what he says in interviews! I’m not on Trump’s legal team, but I have some advice: Giuliani, I know you’re still learning the facts, but until you get them settled, maybe take a page from DJ Khaled and stop using your mouth for a while.”

Where Giuliani goes from here is anyone's guess, but according to Politico, Trump is not happy about his performance:

The president has been griping to associates that Rudy Giuliani, his new personal attorney, has failed to shut down the Stormy Daniels hush money saga. And he has expressed frustration that Giuliani’s media appearances are raising more questions than they are answering, turning the story into a days-long drama capped by the admission Sunday that the president may have made similar payments to other women.

The president has been griping to associates that Rudy Giuliani, his new personal attorney, has failed to shut down the Stormy Daniels hush money saga. And he has expressed frustration that Giuliani’s media appearances are raising more questions than they are answering, turning the story into a days-long drama capped by the admission Sunday that the president may have made similar payments to other women.

Giuliani is not just intent on incinerating his own career, he genuinely appears to want to finish his boss's too. Either that, or he has lost his marbles and believes he is putting forward the best legal defense possible -- a scary proposition for Trump who is finding himself in deeper and deeper water by the day.

RELATED