He Pulled Up Her Dress At School So She Stabbed Him With A Pair Of Scissors

Did she overreact?
Image placeholder title

Down in Tennessee, a male student at Central High School thought it would be funny to lift up the dress of a female student to get a peek underneath. She was not amused:

The victim took a pair of scissors and attempted to strike him multiple times before eventually connecting, a report states.

The male student was treated by a school nurse. He reportedly told police he was "only playing" and never exposed the girl.

How you respond to this story really depends on how you view rape culture in the United States. If you think the girl overreacted and that she should have just scolded the boy for "only playing", chances are you also think Brock Turner, the nice young man that raped an unconscious girl behind a garbage dumpster, shouldn't have his life ruined for, as his father put it, "20 minutes of action".

If that's the case, may I suggest you take a pair of scissors and shove them up your ass? Perhaps sideways?

On the other hand, if you're tired of the "boys will be boys" attitude that currently dominates our society, getting stabbed with a pair of scissors doesn't seem particularly out of line. One of the ways we as human beings learn to not do certain things is through trial and error. When we are young, we learn not to touch something hot because it burns and makes us cry. We learn not to pet strange dogs because they snap at us and make us afraid. Maybe if more boys get stabbed with scissors for "just playing" and sexually assaulting girls, they'd learn not to do it?

I know, it just seems so mean and heavy handed to treat men this way but try to keep in mind that 1 in 3 women will be sexually or physically assaulted in their lifetimes and 1 in 6 will be raped or will have been the victim of an attempted rape. A lot of this has to do with the way we teach boys that they are entitled to women's bodies and how we excuse sexual assault by blaming it on the woman. By stripping men of the responsibility for their actions, we strip them of the need to act responsibly.

This, by the way, is why so many men are freaked out by #MeToo; all of a sudden, men are being held accountable for their behavior when they've been told their entire lives that "boys will be boys" will get them out of trouble almost every time.

I'm not saying girls should start carrying weapons to fend off boys that pull up their dresses or snap their bra straps at school, but I'm not going to shed a tear for the boy that got stabbed. We shrug our shoulders when boys rape girls, I'm not sure why we should get upset over girls trying to maim boys for sexually assaulting them. Girls will be girls. No big deal, right?

A few months ago, my neighbor's 10-year-old daughter told me that a boy put his hand on her behind and she gave him a sharp elbow in the ribs. I gave her a fist bump and told her to aim for his face next time. When my own daughter gets to that age, I'm going to tell her the same thing and to go for the eyes if he tries anything else. If parents won't teach their boys to respect women's bodies, they'll just have to learn to fear them instead.

RELATED