Once again we're witnessing the gaslighting of the Normals in part by Trumpers who routinely retweet and cheer the president's daily hate-screeching, which, of course, includes put-downs like Crooked, Lyin', Crazy, Leakin', Slippery, Dicky, Wacky and Goofy.

If you've been following social media today, you probably have no idea that Donald Trump held another one of his possibly drug-assisted motormouthed shitgasms in Michigan Saturday night. The reason you might not know about it is because both Trumpers and the Beltway hoity-toities are busily rending their garments over the comedy performance of The Daily Show's Michelle Wolf at the annual White House Correspondent's Dinner.

It feels like some sort of bizarre intercourse between two groups that, we're told, generally despise each other: Trumpers and the alleged "fake news." The press corp and the Trumpers are supposed to be enemies, but Wolf's jokes seemed to have united these codependent groups in a post-show display of fragility, hurt feelings and outraged grievances... about a comedian.

The joke that seems to have triggered (word usage intentional) the most effusive whining was this one about White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders: "I actually really like Sarah. I think she’s very resourceful. But she burns facts and then she uses that ash to create a perfect smokey eye. Like maybe she’s born with it, maybe it’s lies. It’s probably lies."

My first reaction was that it was a lies-and-makeup joke. Duh. It looks like the Trumpers and the press corp took it to be a joke about Sanders' physical appearance apart from the makeup. Who the hell knows. But perhaps instead of the smoky eye joke, Michelle Wolf should've referred to Sanders as "Sleepy Eyes." Then everything would be fine, right?

Once again we're witnessing the gaslighting of the Normals in part by Trumpers who routinely retweet and cheer the president's daily hate-screeching, which, of course, includes put-downs like Crooked, Lyin', Crazy, Leakin', Slippery, Dicky, Wacky and Goofy.

Comedians, however, apparently aren't allowed to use, y'know, comedy as a weapon against elites. Yet the Trumpers are totally on board with a President Of The United States who brags about sexual assault, conspires with and praise dictators, normalizes Nazi terrorists, blackmails senators, blurts racist and antisemitic slurs, investigates opponents, obstructs justice, profiteers off the presidency, hires a traitor to be National Security Adviser, and the list goes on and on.

Yes, I said "blackmails senators." While the press corp and the Trumpers were collapsing on their fainting couches as if they're collectively cosplaying as Margaret Dumont, the president grappled onto his bully pulpit in front of a cheering throng of googly-eyed Red Hats and literally blackmailed Sen. Jon Tester, a Democrat representing Montana in the U.S. Senate.

During a tangent about Admiral Ronny Jackson, the White House medical officer who's been accused of, among other things, doling out opioids and other controlled substances like Jujyfruits, Trump blasted Tester's veracity to the jeers of his disciples. (Tester is one of several sources for testimony on Jackson's alleged illegal activities in the White House Medical Unit.) The president concluded by telling a national television audience: "I know things about Tester that I could say, too. And if I said them, he’d never be elected again."

That's blackmail. By the president.

But a joke about makeup is dominating the headlines today. Uh-huh. And some people still wonder how and why Trump got elected. Trump, as always, is endowed by the press with his own set of rules for some reason, a confounding privilege he continues to exploit.

Making matters worse, many other remarks by the president in Michigan will be drowned by the outrage over Wolf's jokes and Trump's ongoing fire hose of stupidity, indecency and obnoxiousness. On the stupid front, by the way, Trump also praised SpaceX's reusable rockets, then took credit for Elon Musk's ingenuity, shouting to great applause, "NASA is back! NASA is back!" Obviously, SpaceX is a private space endeavor and not a NASA program. Duh again. Trump also took credit for the opening of peace talks between North and South Korea. Trump screamed, "What do you think Trump had to do with [Korea]? How about everything!"

See, despite all of his "fake news" fist pounding, Trump knows the press corp well enough to understand that they'll allow him to say and do virtually anything. Whenever Normals respond in ways similar to Wolf's jokes, the press corp dutifully scolds those responses, thus providing Trump with tacit impunity to continue saying whatever the hell he wants, and Trump knows it.

Perhaps the Beltway media elites would be better respected if they took to heart Neil deGrasse Tyson's reaction to the weekend fracas: "When did it become okay to be more offended by what someone with no power says than by what someone with power does?"

Good question.

RELATED