Sometimes a simple trip out with the kids can lead to very different outlooks on life.

Before we get started, let's clear one thing up: Of course I have male privilege. I'm a male. Duh. Taken on the whole, I can almost guarantee I got paid more, was promoted quicker, and had an easier time in my professional life than my female coworkers. As a particularly tall and large male, I've never had to worry about being sexually harassed to the point that the few times I was inappropriately groped, it was amusing instead of threatening. I have quite a bit of male privilege and unlike many (most?) men, I've been aware of it for a very long time.

But having male privilege in most areas of my life does not mean I have it in all areas of my life, a fact I discovered when my wife and I decided that I would be a stay-at-home parent while she went back to work after the birth of our son, Jordan. Naturally, the years-long aggravation I went through, which I will get into later, made my eyebrows shoot up when I saw the title of Billy Doidge Kilgore's article in the Washington Post: "I didn't understand my male privilege until I became a stay-at-home dad".

What fresh hell was this?...

RELATED