One of the many thoughts I had while watching the Stormy Daniels segment on 60 Minutes was that potentially thousands of viewers automatically disregarded her story simply because she's a porn star.

There's clearly a built-in credibility problem here and it derives from her occupation, but just because she works in porn doesn't automatically make her a liar or a swindler. In fact, more than a few of the porn-related people I've met over the years have always seemed excessively honest and generous, perhaps linked to the reality that they routinely expose themselves in every possible way -- a form of physical honesty that could extend to their word as well.

Either way, though, it's impossible to disbelieve Stormy especially given that the other side, Donald Trump and his personal lawyer, goombah wanna-be Michael Cohen, are such prolific liars and provably so. Therefore in the familiar competition of he-said-she-said, the syllabus of Trump lies combined with Trump's obvious history of womanizing makes what she said more believable by contrast.

There is, of course, the problem of her behavior during this ongoing Trump escapade, first agreeing to the NDA and accepting the $130,000, suspiciously and perhaps illegally paid to her by Cohen, along with both written and spoken denials of the affair. Yeah, she entirely flip-flopped on this Trump fiasco, and anyone who cites this as a glitch in her credibility isn't necessary wrong. But, again, take a look at the criminals she's up against. Knowing what we know about Trump and Cohen, the odds are much greater that they're the ones lying and engaging in a cover-up.

Oh, and there's also this bit of business. Cohen basically confessed that he paid hush-money to Stormy in order to protect his "friend" -- Trump. Just so it's not lost down the memory hole, here's exactly what Cohen said about the payment.

"What I did defensively for my personal client, and my friend, is what attorneys do for their high-profile clients. I would have done it in 2006. I would have done it in 2011. I truly care about him and the family — more than just as an employee and an attorney.”

So, why did Cohen pay Stormy $130,000 in the days immediately preceding the election? You don't pay hush-money to someone if they don't have something to blab about. Cohen's stupidly accidental confession merely leaves questions about the details of the affair and the intimidation (physical and otherwise) after the affair, not whether the affair happened in the first place.

Here's the other piece of the equation that works in Stormy's favor.

If you've ever spent any time dealing with the MAGA Hat army, the pro-Trump trolls and crazies on social media, you can probably testify to their tenacity and maybe even the unhinged brutality of their behavior. Now, in the case of Stormy v Trump, amplify that assault by a factor of millions. She appeared on the most popular network news magazine in the world, using her own name to attack the President of the United States as a liar, a scumbag and thug. And she's a female porn star. Good lord, I can't imagine what her Twitter mentions, her DMs and her email Inbox look like today, but a lot of it has to be more than a little terrifying. The variations on "slut" must be blindingly awful.

Yet Stormy appears to be well aware of the propeller she's walking into, telling Anderson Cooper that she's facing "a whole lotta shit," which, naturally, is an understatement. The fact that she knows the consequences of her actions makes her more credible, since she's clearly not doing this to cultivate a safe personal life for her and her child. This is a huge risk without much reward beyond notoriety. Frankly, if notoriety was accompanied by the onslaught of extremists and fanboys clamoring to verbally or literally spit in her face everywhere she goes, I'd gladly decline the notoriety. After all, it's not like she blends into a crowd. Everywhere she goes, she'll be accosted by maybe four out of every ten people. Her life has been permanently altered and not all for the better.

Even if her story of the affair doesn't entirely hold water, there's an absolute upside to this entire fiasco: right or wrong, Stormy and her team is successfully trolling the King Of All Trolls: Trump himself. We've talked about Trump using a tennis-ball machine to keep his hideous mug in the news. But Stormy has her own tennis-ball machine and it's aimed in the direction of the Oval Office. And that alone is extraordinarily satisfying.

RELATED