Trump Was Just Officially Ranked America's Worst President Ever

Congratulations! What an accomplishment!
Congratulations! What an accomplishment!
Nobody can beat my achievement. Believe me!

Nobody can beat my achievement. Believe me!

According to an assortment of scholars across the political spectrum, Donald Trump, after just one year in office, is one of the worst presidents to ever darken the Oval Office. When tallied together, the collective score for Trump is...dead last:

Let’s say that, according to the 170 members of the American Political Science Association’s Presidents and Executive Politics section who filled out our survey, he has at least three years to improve on an ignominious debut.

James Buchanan, who was at the helm as the United States careened into civil war, was dislodged from his position as our nation’s worst president by our current president, Trump.

On a scale of 0-100, with 0 equaling "failure" and 100 equaling "great", Trump scored a 12. And that's without a major international incident occurring that, let's be brutally honest, we all know he's going to make significantly worse and require bailing out by Germany and the EU. Once Trump gets a few of those screw ups under his belt, assuming the planet survives, expect that 12 to drop down to single digits.

By way of comparison, James Buchanan, the president that utterly failed to head off the Civil War and for years has been considered the absolute worst president of all time, scored 3 points higher. That just has to sting.

Harrison was president for one month before dying from pneumonia and even he scored higher.

Harrison was president for one month before dying from pneumonia and even he scored higher.

To make matter worse, President Obama has surged into the top ten, blowing right past Ronald Reagan to take the 8th spot. It's a small consolation that Reagan creeped into the top ten as well but it's one spot behind Obama. If you listen, you can hear the howls of outrage from Fox News already.

White Republican voters will, naturally, decry the results as liberal fake news because something something Trump #MAGA argle bargle. But when broken down by partisan makeup, Trump doesn't fare much better:

It's important to take note of how sharp the partisan difference here is. While the Democratic scholars rate Trump only 4 points lower than the average and the right leaning Independent scholars only rank him 4 points higher, Republican scholars are true outliers with a 13 point difference. Even the spread for Obama is not this far off (+2 for Dem, -4 for Ind, -8 for Rep), showing a truly distorted view of Trump among Republicans. Considering how far white Republican voters and the GOP have gone in order to protect and justify Trump's historically corrupt, incompetent, and illegitimate presidency, this shouldn't come as a surprise. After he's gone and the right goes into full denial, expect to see even this tepid level of support among scholars vanish.

The results of this survey, however amusing, don't really matter in the end, however. There was never a real question about Trump's lack of fitness to be president. His followers will ignore it. Trump will rage tweet about it. Fox News will scream about the liberal media. The rest of us will simply say, "Well, duh. Tell us something we didn't already know" and continue getting ready to vote Republicans out of office in November. After all, someone needs to hold the worst president in history accountable for his corruption and incompetence and it surely will not be the complicit GOP....