As dark as it might be in America today, there will be a time when Donald Trump is no longer president. Can the country heal from the wounds inflicted by the extraordinary partisanship we've seen? Yes, argues Ben Cohen. But it won't be easy.

Lately I've been spending a considerable amount of time thinking about how America can pull itself back from the brink of disaster and heal the almost inconceivable political and social divisions that have torn the country apart. The past two years have been the worst I have ever seen since having lived here on an off for the past 20 years, and in all honesty I have a very hard time seeing how it can happen. I do however, believe there is a solution -- but it is not an easy one...