Who Gives A F*ck What Trump Says At His State Of The Union Address? - The Daily Banter

Who Gives A F*ck What Trump Says At His State Of The Union Address?

The fact that I am writing about Trump's State of the Union address is itself a painful ordeal, and I only do so in order to convince you not to watch it.
0130-ctm-trumpsotu-garrett-1491740-640x360

Donald Trump is set to give his State Of The Union address tonight to assure Americans the country is in good shape and lay out his grand vision for America. Anyone watching it willingly is either a paid journalist, or a masochist. Because watching the president speak for more than 60 seconds at a time constitutes a form of torture only the most ardent Fox News viewer can withstand (and even they appear to be tiring of the president when he drivels on for too long).

The truth is, the State of the Union is shit. It's beyond shit -- it's a goddamn fucking catastrophe and Trump is almost single handedly to blame for it. The 30-35% of the country who still support him might listen to what he has to say, but the rest of us know that whatever his speechwriters come up with will be bullshit. He'll brag about the economy (that he inherited from Obama), brag about kicking out immigrants, and brag about "America First" policies (that do nothing but hurt the country). The statistics will be misleading, the country he describes does not exist, and no one with a functioning brain should pay it the slightest bit of attention.

It is a given that the right wing press will do their utmost to spin the performance as being "presidential" (whatever that means), and the corporate media punditry will judge the entire spectacle based on Trump's ability to string sentences together. "A strong performance where the president outlined the country's need to work together to solve America's problems", etc, etc, etc. It will all be bullshit though, every word of it. And shame on anyone who takes it seriously.

The fact that I am writing about Trump's State of the Union address is itself a painful ordeal, and I only do so in order to convince you not to watch it. This is what I do for a living, and I am not going to watch a single second of the ridiculous spectacle. I do not accept his legitimacy as president, do not accept his behavior towards women, and do not accept his behavior in office. He is mentally unfit to run the country and has as much credibility as Alex Jones from InfoWars. The president is a liar whose word cannot be taken seriously, and anyone enabling him is as guilty as he is.

It would be great if the media would do their jobs and refuse to cover tonight's speech given it is of no value to anyone, but convention dictates all when it comes to media culture in America so we'll all have to pretend it is a big deal. I say fuck it, turn on Netflix instead and watch an episode of Black Mirror. At least it will have some connection to reality.

RELATED