While Trump burns the country to the ground, "social justice activist" Saira Rao published an idiotic screed on the Huff Post declaring that she is "breaking up with the Democratic Party" because they haven't delivered exactly what she wants.

If you want a perfect example of the bottomless narcissism that exists on the far Left, look no further than self proclaimed "social justice activist" Saira Rao, the co-founder of In This Together Media. In a breathlessly idiotic screed published on the Huff Post late last week, Rao declared that she is "breaking up with the Democratic Party" because they haven't delivered exactly what she wants right now. This during a time when Donald Trump is setting fire to the country's democratic norms, trashing the rule of law, and enacting an agenda so far right that it is beyond the traditional definition of fascism. She writes:

I loved you so much that I cried each time I voted. Thinking about the women who died fighting for my right to vote did it every time. I cried when I voted for Bill. For Barack Obama. I wept when I voted for Hillary. You’ve been that kind of mad love to me.

And now I want to break up.

I realize now that the love has been one-sided, unrequited. You’ve never recognized me, as a brown woman. You’ve taken my love, my money, my tokenism, with nary anything in return. You married the white woman and hooked up with me on the side.

Black Lives Matter is a second ― or third ― thought. Where is your outrage over the national epidemic of police brutality against black people? You continue to call angry white men who commit mass murder “lone wolves.” But if someone who looks like me screams “Allah” and fires a gun, it’s “terrorism.” And you wonder why angry white men are gunning down innocent brown men at bars, in their yards, on the street.

For all your talk about Dreamers, there’s been little action. You don’t seem to give a crap about kids of color who will be kicked out of this country, the only country they know. What if all those Dreamers were white? I suspect there’d be a very different outcome.

You spend a lot of time and energy wooing white voters, while giving short shrift to voters of colors and assuming we’ll always show up for you.

To be fair, there’s no reason for you to assume otherwise. We always show up for you. Take, for example, the special election in Alabama on Tuesday. Had black people not shown up, an accused child molester would be our newest senator.

What will Doug Jones do for the black folks who put him in the Senate? If history is any indication, very little.

On a factual basis alone, all of this is complete and utter horseshit. Let's take Rao's claims and weigh them up agains the evidence.

Black Lives Matter is a second ― or third ― thought. Where is your outrage over the national epidemic of police brutality against black people?

Granted, Black Lives Matter was not at the forefront of the Democrat's agenda in 2016 during the election. This changed dramatically however, with both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders making BLM a serious focus of their campaigns. They offered concrete policy proposals and spoke out against police brutality against African Americans. On the second day of the Democratic Convention the LA Times reported that the Democratic Party, "put a spotlight on the complex issues of urban violence, easy access to guns and the accusation that systemic racism has warped the criminal justice system." Mothers of slain African Americans who called themselves "Mothers of the Movement" spoke at the event and praised the Democrats for taking a stand on the issue:

"I didn't want this spotlight," said Sybrina Fulton, whose 17-year-old son, Trayvon Martin, was shot and killed by a Neighborhood Watch member in an act that sparked a national debate over Florida's stand-your-ground law, which allows use of lethal force in some circumstances.

She praised Clinton for having compassion and understanding to support grieving mothers, courage to fight for gun safety legislation, and a plan to repair the divide between law enforcement and the communities they serve.

“This is not about being politically correct. This is about saving our children,” she said.

"Hillary Clinton isn't afraid to say ‘black lives matter,’" said Lucia McBath. "She doesn't build walls around her heart. Not only did she listen to our problems, she invited us to become part of the solution."

Trump, on the other hand, refused to endorse Black Lives Matter and instead embraced the “Blue Lives Matter” movement.

Saira Rao with Hillary Clinton

Saira Rao with Hillary Clinton

You continue to call angry white men who commit mass murder “lone wolves.” But if someone who looks like me screams “Allah” and fires a gun, it’s “terrorism.”

Comically, Rao links to an article from The Nation specifically calling out Fox News, Trump, the NRA and Republicans for refusing to call white terrorism what it is. No mention at all of any Democrats or the liberal media. Given Rao posted a photo of herself and Hillary Clinton (see above), let's look at what Clinton has said about white terrorism:

Yes, that was Hillary Clinton explicitly talking about white terrorism and police violence.

For all your talk about Dreamers, there’s been little action. You don’t seem to give a crap about kids of color who will be kicked out of this country, the only country they know. What if all those Dreamers were white? I suspect there’d be a very different outcome.

Forget the fact that the DREAM Act was created by Democrats, fought for by Democrats and finally put into practice (albeit under a different name) via an executive order from President Obama, Rao's point is completely ridiculous. She links to a recent Politico piece reporting on the Democratic leadership not being willing to shut down the government over the Dreamers claiming this proves they are closet racists who only care about white people. To not take into consideration the very obvious fact that Democrats have virtually no political leverage in today's climate and do not control any branch of government is not just willfully ignorant, but actively idiotic. The Democrats are gaining ground on the Republicans and could make huge gains in 2018. If voters believe they were responsible for a government shut down, it could cost them dearly and any hope of protecting undocumented minors would completely disappear. The Democrats are engaged in a very, very tricky battle against Trump and the GOP, and while certain issues may be incredibly important, they have to fight tactically and look at the bigger picture which includes, you know, the future of democracy

What will Doug Jones do for the black folks who put him in the Senate? If history is any indication, very little.

Would that be Doug Jones, the same prosecutor who convicted two Ku Klux Klan responsible for the 1963 Birmingham church bombing that killed four black girls? The same Doug Jones who spent his entire career battling racial hatred and working as a Civil Rights activist? If history is any indication, Doug Jones will do a lot for "black folks who put him in the Senate".

The rest of Rao's screed is a litany of petty rants pinning the blame on inequality/sexism etc on the Democrats with next to no corroborating evidence. She ends her piece with a list of demands that include making reparations the focus of the Democrat's agenda:

If you don’t want to lose more women like me, there are a few basic things you can do.

Pay attention to the reproductive health of women of color and other marginalized women. Do something, anything, to protect Dreamers. Or, if you’re really feeling bold, move forward on some form of reparations for black people.

While I am all for reparations, the party and every responsible American citizen is locked in a deadly battle with a raging maniac for the survival of democracy and the rule of law. Trump is not only dismantling the federal government, passing tax cuts to billionaires that will bankrupt the country, wrecking the environment and rounding up brown people for deportation, he almost certainly about to fire the man investigating him for colluding with a foreign nation and obstructing the course of justice. This could well mean the end of American democracy as we know it. Rao's list of grievances against the Democratic Party are not all without merit, but the timing of her poorly sourced hissy fit could not be worse. "I’ll be on the sidelines waiting, watching, hoping, praying," she writes of her breakup with the only party trying to stop the insanity in Washington DC.

Because that's exactly how progress is made, right?

RELATED ARTICLES