Rep. Jackie Speier: Trump is Waiting for Congress to Leave Washington D.C. to Fire Robert Mueller

Trump is a sniveling coward. Plain and simple.
2017-10-02-Trump-001

We've known for months that the United States was headed for a constitutional crisis unlike anything we've seen in modern times. Donald Trump has almost beyond a shadow of a doubt been working for/with Russia from the beginning and it was inevitable that he was going to fire Robert Mueller when the investigation got too close.

And now it looks like the crisis is just days away:

Congresswoman Jackie Speier (D-San Mateo) told KQED Newsroom on Friday that she believes Republicans are trying to shut down the House Intelligence Committee’s probe into alleged Russian interference in the 2016 elections.

Speier also said, “The rumor on the Hill when I left yesterday was that the president was going to make a significant speech at the end of next week. And on Dec. 22nd, when we are out of D.C., he was going to fire Robert Mueller.”

Of course that's when Trump would do it. Right when Congress leaves and the country is distracted by the holidays. He's clearly hoping that by the time the holidays are over, the outrage will have died down and people will have moved on to whatever his next tweet or international gaffe is. In this, he is badly mistaken. Half a million women marched on D.C. in the middle of January to protest what they knew was going to be a corrupt and deplorable presidency. That will be a drop in the bucket to the protest that will come for Trump when he tries to overthrow the rule of law in America.

At the same time, Republicans, Fox News, AM Hate Radio and right wing hate sites have been paving the way for Trump to shut down Mueller with an escalating series of attacks on his integrity, something that just a few months ago they were cheering. In retrospect, it's clear that the right assumed that Mueller, a Republican himself, would run a partisan investigation. When it became obvious that not only was he acting in a professional and completely nonpartisan manner, but that he was digging up massive amounts of damaging information, the right decided that treason maybe wasn't so bad after all.

Republicans seem to believe they can aid and abet Trump crowning himself a lawless tyrant without paying a steep penalty. In this, they are badly mistaken. 50 years ago, Republicans forced their own president to resign for a similar crime. They will not be able to justify to the public allowing Trump to stay in office and an already brutal 10 point electoral wave will become a 15-17 point tsunami that will sweep them out of power at every level of government. The only way they can survive the coming backlash is to immediately rehire Mueller as a special prosecutor under the aegis of the Senate where Trump would not be able to touch him.

If not, we'll march on D.C. and we stay until both they, and Trump, are removed from office one way or the other. This is a choice between the rule of law and turning America into a dictatorship ruled by the whims of Donald Trump.

Trump is about to give himself an early Christmas gift: A "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

Time to remind him that no one is above the law in America with the largest protest this country has ever seen.

There are 324 days left to the 2018 elections but we'll have to Occupy D.C. long before that.

- This article kills fascists

RELATED ARTICLES