Hollywood faces an unprecedented crisis after the Harvey Weinstein sexual abuse scandal broke. If it wants to survive, it must learn from another industry that faced down an existential crisis nearly 100 years ago that nearly destroyed it.

The Banter Long Read: The fact that this crisis reaches beyond Weinstein to infect organizations like Screen Junkies and Alamo Drafthouse makes it so unprecedented in its scale that no Hollywood scandal to come before it can be a sufficient model for how to correct things going forward. I propose that we take lessons from how another industry handled a threat to its survival at the turn of the last century: the Chicago White Sox's throwing of the 1919 World Series to the Cincinnati Reds.

The story of the “eight men out” is one of the most dramatic in all of sports....

RELATED ARTICLES