When Republicans Refuse to Impeach, We Must March on Washington and Occupy DC

If we don't take back our country from criminals, we don't deserve our country.
000d75af-1600

David Roberts over at Vox paints a bleak picture of what the most likely outcome of the Mueller investigation will be. Trump is proven to have worked directly with Russia to steal the 2016 election but Republicans, with the help of Fox News, AM Hate Radio and right wing hatesites throw up so much dust that nothing happens and Trump remains president:

Say he pardons everyone. People will argue on cable TV about whether he should have. One side will say up, the other will say down. Trump may have done this, but what about when Obama did that? What about Hillary’s emails? Whatabout this, whatabout that, whatabout whatabout whatabout?

There is no longer any settling such arguments. The only way to settle any argument is for both sides to be committed, at least to some degree, to shared standards of evidence and accuracy, and to place a measure of shared trust in institutions meant to vouchsafe evidence and accuracy. Without that basic agreement, without common arbiters, there can be no end to dispute.

As long as conservatives can do something — steal an election, gerrymander crazy districts to maximize GOP advantage, use the filibuster as a routine tool of opposition, launch congressional investigations as political attacks, hold the debt ceiling hostage, repress voting among minorities, withhold a confirmation vote on a Supreme Court nominee, defend a known fraud and sexual predator who has likely colluded with a foreign government to gain the presidency — they will do it, knowing they’ll be backed by a relentlessly on-message media apparatus.

Let's be honest, when Trump said he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th ave. and get away with it, he wasn't kidding. His followers will never abandon him because he's the only thing standing between them and White Genocide™. Even if they don't actually believe Those People are literally lining up at the border to kill whitey, on some level, that's exactly what they believe because that's what they've been told their entire lives. Trump is their Great White Hope and they will accept anything he does, corruption, theft, rape, murder, actual literal treason, as long as he defends the honor of their white women.

So what do we do when Mueller proves that Trump is a Russian agent, or, more likely, what do we do when Trump has Mueller removed and buries the investigation? What do we do when Republicans shrug their shoulders and declare "Oh, it's out of our hands!"?

We could wait until the midterm elections and try to vote the GOP out but Republicans are becoming increasingly bold in their abuse of power. In just the past several years, they've gone from mild voter suppression and gerrymandering to levels unseen since Jim Crow. They've stolen 3 of the past 5 presidential elections, a Supreme Court seat, and they're ready to implement voter suppression on a national level now. There is no reason to believe that the midterm elections will even be held if it looks like the results will not go the way Republicans want or that even if they are, that Trump simply won't negate the results as "tainted" by Russian interference.

Who's going to stop them? The same people that stopped them from stealing the 2016 election? The "liberal" press? The Republican Party? Conservative voters? The Democrats?

We're on the brink of a catastrophic failure of democracy in America where the absolute corruption of the Republican Party threatens the end of the American Experiment. When they make their move, and they will, we will have only one move left of our own:

Occupy Washington DC and refuse to leave until Trump and his illegitimate administration are gone.

When millions of us march to the National Mall and surround the Capitol and the White House and stay for weeks or months on end, the message will be loud and clear: We will no longer tolerate a treasonous criminal for a president so Republicans can pass a fucking tax cut for billionaires.

The Republican Party will have a choice to make, they can either obey their oath to uphold the Constitution or watch mass civil disobedience spread like wildfire as people take to the streets in every major city and refuse to go home until Trump is removed from office for treason. If they're smart, they'll get on the right side of history. If not, they'll be remembered as collaborators as the country shuts down.

Trump will demand that we be shot with rubber bullets, water hoses, tear gas and pepper spray before moving on to the lethal attacks because that's how tyrants always respond when their power is threatened. I think it's unlikely the police or the National Guard will follow those orders but it's a risk we'll have to take if we don't want to live in a country where we can be arrested and killed for having an unpopular political opinion. Ask Russia how well that's working out for them.

Conservatives like to talk about their Second Amendment remedies for tyranny and watering the tree of liberty but violence is the first resort of the weak and it's not the only way to remove threats to democracy. They broke America with their stupidity, now it's up to us to fix it by being better citizens and reminding them what it means to be a true patriot.

There are 3 days left to the the 2017 elections.

- This article kills fascists

RELATED