MEMBERS ONLY: Mescaline and the Mother Earth - A Return to the Amazon Jungle (Pt 1) - The Daily Banter
"As I read more about Huachuma (or the 'San Pedro' cactus) and the effect it was supposed to have when ingesting it, the more intrigued I became. It was supposed to sensitize you to nature and open up your senses in a very profound way. You didn’t need to lie down to take it, and part of the healing process was to be in nature after having consumed it. Huachuma is commonly referred to as a “heart opener” -- a medicine that helped you move out of the mental world we live in and into that of the emotional and felt experience."

Editor's note: I have held off releasing this series of essays for some time now, for reasons I'm not quite sure I know how to articulate. Perhaps it was partially due to feeling emotionally and artistically 'blocked' after the election of Donald Trump, or perhaps it has been my own nervousness about discussing psychedelics publicly. I am returning to the Amazon next week for further Huachuma ceremonies and felt it necessary to put this out before I go. - Ben

The Banter Long Read: Returning to the Amazon for another plant medicine journey a year after my first Ayahuasca experience was nerve wracking to say the least. Having had possibly the most extreme and challenging experience I could have ever imagined in the jungle town of Pullcalpa, Peru, heading back into the unknown was not something I was particularly confident about...

(UPDATE: We have extended our free trial on a Banter Membership for the next 12 hours so you can still read all Members pieces for free!)

RELATED