The answer lies in an act of Congress that led to a radical right-wing movement in the mid-20th century.

The Banter Long Read: Our story begins with the presidential election of 1876, when Democrat Samuel J. Tilden won the popular vote, but did not receive enough electoral votes to assume the presidency... (word count: 1284)

To continue reading this MEMBERS ONLY article, please go here. You'll get unrestricted access to all our member's content, and your support directly goes to the writers at the Banter and keeps us 100% independent. Thank you!

RELATED ARTICLES