Irony Commits Suicide as Charlottesville Nazis Rage Against the Police

The cops really hurt their feelings and they're very sad about the whole thing.
The cops really hurt their feelings and they're very sad about the whole thing.
jill-mumie-charlottesville-officer-viral-kkk

This has to be the single greatest quote from a Nazi since "Ich gebe auf":

“I have never felt like the government or police were against me,” said white nationalist leader Richard Spencer at a small press conference inside his home in Alexandria, Virginia, on Monday afternoon. “There has never been a situation in my life when I’ve felt this way.”

If you can think of a more perfect encapsulation of white conservative male privilege, I'd love to hear it.

Spencer and his fellow Nazis are angry that the police didn't immediately swoop in to beat up the counter-protesters that confronted their white nationalist rally on Saturday. The rally's organizer, Jason Kessler, was similarly upset, "This has changed everything,” he said. “I thought that the police would uphold constitutional law no matter what.” This was after Kessler was chased off by protesters before the police were able to escort him away from the screaming crowd.

It's not hard to understand why Spencer and the others feel this way. During the confrontation, both Nazis and counter-protesters pummeled each other while the police stood by and let it happen:

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — There was nothing haphazard about the violence that erupted today in this bucolic town in Virginia’s heartland. At about 10 a.m. today, at one of countless such confrontations, an angry mob of white supremacists formed a battle line across from a group of counter-protesters, many of them older and gray-haired, who had gathered near a church parking lot. On command from their leader, the young men charged and pummeled their ideological foes with abandon. One woman was hurled to the pavement, and the blood from her bruised head was instantly visible.

Standing nearby, an assortment of Virginia State Police troopers and Charlottesville police wearing protective gear watched silently from behind an array of metal barricades — and did nothing.

It's clear that the white nationalists consider this an intentional assault on their right to be assholes but they were already given far more leeway than, say, Occupy protesters ever recieved:

Try to imagine a Black Lives Matter protest pushing cops like this without immediately being maced and arrested. Go ahead, close your eyes and try. How'd that go? Were you able to form the mental image without immediately laughing at how unlikely it would be? I've been trying for three days and I still can't can't do it.

We may never know exactly what happened in Charlottesville. The white nationalists say the police left them to fend for themselves and the police say the white nationalists ignored the security plan they agreed upon. Either way, we're lucky that none of the heavily armed Nazis opened fire. This time. But as tensions escalate, it will only be a matter of time until one of them gets an itchy trigger finger and starts shooting people. And after Donald Trump came Tuesday afternoon and openly defended them, it won't be long.

When the President of the United States is making excuses for your white nationalist violence, you're going to be eager to spill some blood in the name of the "master race," confident that the most powerful man in the world has got your back.

In the meantime, it's going to be interesting to see if the alt-right turns on the police for "betraying" them. While police culture is rife with racism, there's a world of difference between being angry at Black Lives Matter and supporting Nazis. Nobody likes Nazis. Perhaps Spencer and his little Hitler gang overestimated how sympathetic the police would be to their cause. What a damn shame that would be.

- This article kills fascists

RELATED ARTICLES