Jerry Falwell Jr. Still Believes Man Who Grabs Women By the P*ssy is "Dream Candidate"

American Evangelical Christianity is no longer about Jesus Christ. It is about hate, misogyny and greed.
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 2.23.01 PM

One question I always ask my Christian Evangelical Republican friends is if Jesus Christ were alive today, would he vote for someone like Donald Trump? The answer is almost always "no, but he'll get the things I like done". And invariably, those things are the least Christian like policies imaginable, leading me to conclude that American Evangelicalism has absolutely nothing to do with actual Christianity, or Jesus Christ.

A perfect example of the extreme disconnect between the teachings of Christ and his modern followers in America is Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of the Evangelical Liberty University (LU). Falwell came out in favor of Donald Trump during the 2016 election, calling him “a successful executive and entrepreneur, a wonderful father and a man who I believe can lead our country to greatness again.” After the recording of Trump telling Billy Bush that when you are rich and powerful like him, "You can do anything," to women, "grab them by the pussy. You can do anything," Falwell continued to support him, calling him a "changed man," and adding that, "We're not electing a pastor. We're electing a president."

Over 100 days into Trump's presidency, Falwell is still a big fan of Trump's going as far as calling him a "dream president" for evangelicals. In an interview with Fox News' Jeanine Pirro on Friday, Falwell outlined why evangelicals continue to support the pussy grabbing president and rate his objectively speaking abysmal performance thus far so highly.

"Evangelicals didn't just vote on social issues this time, because the Republican establishment had lied to them over decades about those issues, and so instead, they went a different direction," Falwell said.

"They were concerned about the borders, about bringing jobs back. I think they're just as thrilled about all those things — going after sanctuary cities, all those things."

How very Christian of him! Walling off poor, desperate people trying to find a better life for themselves, then punishing the people who dare to help them is exactly what Christ would have wanted.

For those outside of the evangelical Christian community, the support for Donald Trump is somewhat perplexing. It is hard to see how their candidate's love of money, rampant xenophobia and his appalling treatment of women can be reconciled with any of Jesus's teaching, because, well, Christ preached the exact opposite. In Christ, the gospels portray a man dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in society, a selfless, humble preacher who eschewed wealth and wanted to spread compassion, not fear of other. Trump isn't just a bad Christian then, his is the literal antithesis of what it means to be a Christian.

Falwell is the poster child for American evangelical Christianity, and perhaps the best example of how sordid, unpleasant and devoid of compassion it has become.

RELATED ARTICLES