Why would Trump badmouth Comey to the Russians, knowing what it looked like? Or maybe he had no idea what it looked like, underscoring his ignorance and lack of self-awareness.

Let there be no doubt about why James Comey was fired. Now that we know more details regarding the unforgivably chummy White House meeting between President Trump and both Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak, it should be perfectly clear to any reasonable, thinking human being that Trump is absolutely guilty of colluding with the Russians.

Two major bombshell news stories dropped Friday afternoon, effectively dragging the debate closer to Trump than ever before.

First, we learned that a senior White House official has been named as a "person of interest" in the criminal investigation into the Trump/Russia collusion. Reports outside of the original The Washington Post article suggest the senior official is Trump's son-in-law and protege, Jared Kushner. Again, The Post has yet to confirm Kushner by name.

Secondly, and perhaps more shockingly, we learned from The New York Times that Trump insulted James Comey while meeting with Lavrov and Kislyak. During their White House circle-jerk, laughing and back-slapping in the Oval Office, Trump told the Russians that he thinks Comey is "crazy" and a "nut job."

“I just fired the head of the FBI,” Trump began. “He was crazy, a real nut job… I faced great pressure because of Russia. That’s taken off.”

At the very least, this is a second confirmation from Trump himself that he fired Comey expressly to stop the Trump/Russia investigation. The observation that the FBI was applying "great pressure" suggests that Trump is guilty. If he were innocent of all wrongdoing, there wouldn't be any pressure knowing the investigation would likely exonerate him.

And characterizing Comey as "crazy" and a "nut job" is completely divorced from the general consensus about the Justice Department veteran. Why would Trump badmouth Comey to the Russians, knowing what it looked like? Or maybe he had no idea what it looked like, underscoring his ignorance and lack of self-awareness.

Also, it's worth noting that Lavrov and Kislyak are agents of a government that attacked our election process last year. While it's not considered prudent to say this out loud in certain D.C. circles, we're at war with Russia. Yet Trump not only invited these enemy officials into the Oval Office without any American press, he also divulged code-word level intelligence to the Russians, and now it's been reported that he tossed the reputation of our own FBI director under a bus.

Let there be no doubt. Trump and the Russians are working together -- right now. The peer-reviewed evidence reported by the press throughout the past year is incontrovertible and growing more iron-clad by the day.

RELATED