Donald Trump Just Fired FBI Director James Comey Because Everything is Now Insane

This is how dictatorships start.
James Comey.jpg

As if politics in America couldn't get any crazier, Donald Trump just fired director of the F.B.I James Comey, citing  his inability to "effectively lead the bureau". Reported the NY Times

President Trump has dismissed the director of the F.B.I., James B. Comey, on the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Tuesday.

“While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the bureau,” Mr. Trump said in a letter dated Tuesday to Mr. Comey.

“It is essential that we find new leadership for the F.B.I. that restores public trust and confidence in its vital law enforcement mission,” Mr. Trump wrote.

Officials at the F.B.I. said they were not immediately aware of Mr. Comey’s dismissal.

In a separate letter released at the White House, Mr. Spicer said that the president informed the director that he has been “terminated and removed from office.”

“The F.B.I. is one of our nation’s most cherished and respected institutions and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel of law enforcement,” Mr. Trump said in the statement.

Here is the letter in full:

The irony of Trump's words are nothing short of amazing and should be engraved in stone so that future civilizations (if we survive) can see what kind of madness brought down the most powerful empire in human history. Admittedly Comey was a spineless, incompetent hack whose major contribution to American society was throwing the presidential election to a certified lunatic, but for Donald Trump to speak of public trust and disrespecting "cherished and respected institutions" is indicative of just how insane the reality we are living in is.

Stunning hypocrisy aside, Trump firing of Comey is incredibly alarming and another sign of his ambitions to do away with the pesky branches of government hindering his plans to Make America Great Again. Comey's abrupt firing clearly has nothing to do with his incompetence given Trump's entire administration views brazen stupidity as a positive attribute. Trump is genuinely spooked about the ongoing F.B.I investigation into his campaign's ties to Russia, and is doing what all tinpot dictators do when caught red-handed: getting rid of their enemies. As Brian Beutler tweeted:

Every week, new revelations about the Trump administration's astonishing corruption and incompetence takes us into new, unchartered territory, but this really is something new, and frankly, terrifying.

RELATED